• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PURCHASED HMMWV WITH NO MODEL YEAR ON DOCUMENTS - TEXAS

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys. It’s a freaking three speed. It is old. 🤦🏻‍♂️

We’re talking Uber old. Like late 1980’s
With a 500K serial number it has gone through RECAP, they issue a new serial number and reset the build date, it is actually probably a 2005 or later year model.
NOW if he can get that re-assigned to a 1994 or earlier that would be best but in reality it is no longer a 1980s/90s truck, and in TX it really does not make any difference unless he wants to put the restrictive but cheaper MV plates on it, that requires the vehicle to be a min. of 25 years old IIRC.

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have a m1097 with a serial number of 500813 and no year model date here in Texas. What are my options to get a title when there is no model date on my paperwork? I searched for this subject on SS before I asked. Thank you
Ok, I got one from GVT planet as well. It was listed as a 1995 in the auction, but then the title from Florida I paid extra $200 for came in as a 2008. 2008 was the year my rig was overhauled. but it was built in 1995. I went back to GVT planet and said "I bought this rig listed as a 1995." "Its the reason i chose this one." "If this stays titled as a 2008, it's NOT over 25 years old and I will never be able to drive this...essentially I pissed away thousands of dollars". So, they agreed to try to rectifiy. I sent them the title back and lo-and-behold, I got a new title for a 1995. I went into the GA title tag office and was out in 15mins....no hassles>.

blutow

With a 500K serial number it has gone through RECAP, they issue a new serial number and reset the build date, it is actually probably a 2005 or later year model.
NOW if he can get that re-assigned to a 1994 or earlier that would be best but in reality it is no longer a 1980s/90s truck, and in TX it really does not make any difference unless he wants to put the restrictive but cheaper MV plates on it, that requires the vehicle to be a min. of 25 years old IIRC.
+1 on age doesn't matter on FMV registration. My 1123 is registered at FMV as a 2000 year model. 2000 was on my SF97 (govplanet asked what year I wanted on the form). Besides the significantly lower registration cost, the other advantage of FMV registration is that you don't need to have it inspected. And you have the option to run without physical license plates and just use the military stencil markings as your license number.

There are restrictions on how you can use the vehicle and you are supposed to keep it original looking, so probably not a fit for the folks looking to paint their hmmwv a different color and put aftermarket rims on it. Also not a good fit for a daily driver. FMV registration says it's only supposed to be used for parades, club events, exhibitions, and functions of public interest and not for normal transportation. When I'm in my hmmwv, it's pretty much always a exhibition and function of public interest in my opinion, but a cop could certainly question that if he wanted to press it. No issues in the last year and have only gotten thumbs up and waves from law enforcement. Really, my main concern is running without plates because I could see a cop questioning that if they don't know about the option to run with the miltary stencils. But my truck also looks like it could be an active military vehicle, so maybe the original appearance is reducing my chances of getting pulled over for lack of plates. Regardless, if I have any issue with the law, it's supposed to be an easy switch to change the registration once you have the title. I can either add pysical FMV plates to my FMV registration or change the registration to regular truck as long as I get it inspected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks