• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing a battery for the Deuce and a Half

Thanatos123rd

I'll be honest with everyone. I am new into collecting military vehicles. I have only driven the M35A2 at my base for training. Recently, I've heard about government liquidation and I was told to bring a battery when I come and check out the trucks.

Which battery should I get for the Deuce and a Half? I called NAPA and they suggested a Group 24 for $60.00. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about, but I prefer to hear it from the professionals (All of you collectors out there).

Is there anything else I should buy and bring with me to the lot when I inspect the Deuces for sale? Its a good two hour drive from my house and I don't want to be stuck with the wrong tools and the wrong battery when making my selection.

Thank you for your assistance everyone! It is much appreciated.

-Tom

AKJEEP

.......But when the time comes........Napa part # is 7256D (for the dry battery) or 7256 for the one ready to go :D
I know my battery tray is sized just right for two 6-LTs....cannot fit a pair of group 31s in there, and if I put just some automotive batteries in there, I would have to change out cables.

Last edited:

hdexpert

Go to an Interstate battery store and ask if they have any group 31 blems. They're new, $40-$45 each and work great. Tell them you want the screw tops, not the posts. It's a much better set up!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will need two batteries to start a deuce.

You do not need a specific battery......two Wal-mart cheapos (get the highest Cold Cranking Amps (CCAs) you can afford) will get the job done.

You do need to make sure they will fit into the battery box if you are going to install them.

You will need a heavy set of jumper cables (made out of welding cable is best) and a jumper to go from the NEG on one battery to the POS on the other.

If you are just going to inspect (verses going to pick one up you have won) most of the GL guys will jump start one or two for you to inspect. Just about every major GL lot has a set of slave cables to jump vehicles.

I would suggest doing a visual check of several trucks and pick the two or three you are most interested in.....don't abuse the inspection privilage by asking to start every truck on the lot.

If you post when you are going for inspection you might find a member that is going to be at the same place on the same day and get a second opinion on a truck you like.

Just my input.....your mileage may vary.

AKJEEP

OK..I could have been more specific I guess...
if you want the ones that will fit properly into the tray, that is the part number. anything else and you gotta play with re-routing/modifying cables - something you may not wanna do in the DRMO parking lot

Thanatos123rd

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I've been paging around and trying to find some useful information, but I figured this will be the best place to go with everyone's experience. I've looked around on ebay and found some Deuces for $3200-$6000. I was honestly looking for one that will get me from point A to point B (roughly a 2 hour drive from the lot to my driveway). Other than that, I wanted to make it a hobby and project to eventually fix up the truck to an optimal condition. Safety is one of my concerns. There is a lot in Indianapolis and I wanted to be able to take the highway home without worrying about dry rot tires going out on me or anything else malfunctioning. I even considered getting it shipped to my place and paying the extra $500-$1000. I'll continue to read around on the forums. I must admit, this is a very busy forum with a lot of talent. Thank you for all of your help.

-Tom

rlwm211

I put Optima Yellows in my deuce. They are very resistant to vibration damage.

I used high density foam to help take up the space that these do not take up like the Original batteries do.

Deuce's don't Vibrate do they??????

RL

Heavysteven

Tom,
When you do buy a truck shipping is worth the price. I was thinking of driving mine back till read this forum and had a reality check. In my case driving from Kentucy to Georgia was not saving the $500. Plus I had time to look over the truck at my own pace before hitting the road.

rlwm211

My truck has the LDS motor and with the S280 shelter on the back gets about 7 mpg on a good day without hills. If I am in hilly country, or if there is a head wind figure one or two mpg less.

Sort of stinks to get less that the other deuces, but then again, I do not downshift very often on hills.

RL

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep factoring in 2 hours of drive time can lead to how many issues with overheating on the road (if I end up getting a bad apple).

While I did just fix an overheating problem on one of my trucks that would be the least of my concerns on driving one home from a GL lot. Granted I did it once with my first truck but my second truck from GL I had towed home. Safer and I get to look at without stressing out over how to get it home.

sw

rlwm211

I would add that unless you are insured and registered you are operating illegally and could face the wrath of the LEO if you are unfortunate enough to encounter one in an official capacity. That would be another log on the fire of those who wish we were not on the road for any reason with our MV's.

Just my two cents
RL

Thanatos123rd

Hey neighbor! It's great to know there is someone close by in case I run into an issue. I will definitely keep you posted on my deuce purchase and if I need any help with it. Do you work on the Deuce (general maintenance, repairs, installations, etc)? I'm sure I'll run into some trouble during my time with a deuce and I'll gladly pay for the help. Thanks for the heads up.

-Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks