• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing a CCKW .........Maybe ??????????????

Malaponte

Hello Everyone,image (1).jpg

I cannot seem to find a Willy's or a GPW Jeep anywhere near where I live, so I am now deciding if I should purchase a mates CCKW 353 LWB. I have always wanted to make my first restoration a Jeep and then do a GMC CCKW but it looks like it might have to be the other way around

As far as I know it is a 1942-43 model but I would have to confirm that. It is currently registered in Queensland Australia and is in fair to good condition and still is regularly driven and it looks like it has the original engine. The usual rust on the front of the bonnet and in the tray is there but I am not sure of anything else I should be looking for.

Can someone help me with the follow;

Where can I find the year model on the truck ?
Is there any other places that is normally rusts ?
What should I be paying for a 6x6 CCKW GMC of that vintage ?
Is there anywhere on the Chassis I can find a model number ?
Can anyone recommend a good book with how to correctly rebuild a CCKW ?

I am sure if I purchase the GMC there will be a lot more questions but if anyone else has a opinion I would be glad to hear it.

Cheers

Justin

nattieleather

Rebuilding big trucks has their own set of challenges. First of when you say rebuild are you talking about a ground up restoration? You'll need a large barn or warehouse to work in as these don't fit in most home garages. The parts are larger and therefore even heavier so for things like cab and bed removal you'll need a crane or boom of some sort to lift them off. Even doing tires and brakes can be back breaking. On the other hand though they are a lot of fun to drive. Rarely do you have to put your hands into tight places to work on something and people love big trucks. I can't answer your other questions but I wanted to give you a perspective from someone who has owned both large and small MVs.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The year will be on the builder's data plate under the dash above the transmission cover.
The cab cowl lower corners rust, the cab side sills rust, the rear panel rusts.
Price? No idea down under. Here, if it runs, you can expect to pay $5000 USD.
The model number (embedded in the VIN) is located on the left front frame horn between the shock and bumper. Will read CCKW353 123456-B1. The alpha suffix will tell you what was on the chassis when delivered.
The bed for a '43 open would been wood. It is not a '42, those were all closed cab. You might have a post war bed.

Malaponte

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the response to my qestions.

To answer just a few,

I would like to give it a full ground up rebuild, as a truck a truck like this deserves. Can anyone recommend a good reputable company I could use to get the parts I may need to rebuild it ?

And what about a good workshop manual or something like that to show how to rebuild stuff ?

I have 2 large size sheds and 6 acres of large to be able to restore the CCWK but obviously I am going to need larger jacks and tools for this kind of job.

And yes it must be after 42 as it is a open cab.

I have more photos of the truck and i will post them later on today.

Personally I think this truck would be a perfect 1st restoration for me.

Cheers

Justin

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VERY nice truck! The bed is WWII, 7.50-20's all around, and Timken split driveline too! See VehiclesofVictory.com for a list of vendors that support the Jimmy.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, that looks really solid.

Snohomishscott

It does look nice. I have owned a couple of CCKWs. The worst issue is drivability. 45 mph top speed, but only if you have nerves of steel. And it will take more than a minute and 5 shifts to get there. I have a bobbed '43 now with a two speed rear end that makes it much more drivable. I dropped more than a ton of weight with a lighter flatbed and by losing an axel. Radial tires really helped drivability a lot. Yours looks too collectible. Keep it as original as you can. The technical manuals are on pdf and easily available. The manuals are great. Written so the average WWII guy can understand it
The BFT.jpg

ZIL157

Hi Justin, your truck looks good as it is to me. Tell me something, I've read somewhere that all 'commercial' trucks in Australia have to be right hand drive, is that true? I know I've seen several pictures of Studebaker US6's and even Willys MB's that have been converted, what's the legal position ? Best of luck with the project.

raeme

Z, all left hand drive over 4.8t must be changed to right hand drive and fully conform to the states standards and have a full engineers report and full comprensive insurance. If the vehicle is under 4.8t. you must have proof it has been regestered before on civvie roads , not military use.
raeme.

ZIL157

Z, all left hand drive over 4.8t must be changed to right hand drive and fully conform to the states standards and have a full engineers report and full comprensive insurance. If the vehicle is under 4.8t. you must have proof it has been regestered before on civvie roads , not military use.
raeme.
Thanks for clearing that up raeme. Glad to see that you're driving a diesel powered CCKW too. I've converted a couple in the past and my present truck, a CCKWX is running a Perkins 6354. Theres not a lot of room to play with but well worth the conversion hastle. heres a picture016.jpg

Last edited:

ZIL157

Z, if you go to CCKW BLOG AUSTRALIA you can ha a look at mine.
Thanks Phill.
Tidy truck Phill, you've certainly 'gone to town' on the old girl. So have you managed to get the certified weight of your truck under the 4.8 ton cut off then ?
I've kept the original GMC gearbox on mine, how do you like the Allison ? Paul.

dependable

How hard is it to get a truck like that, even if restored, though the safety inspection? In 1990, I had a Holden HR that was mint for a car its age and the inspector in Queensland said he was doing me a big favor letting it though, and might not have except he knew I was leaving town. Later on, a friend of mines fully restored HD failed inspection in NSW. I hope things have changed, but at the time it was rumored it was policy to get all the old vehicles off the road.

raeme

Z, the allison is a dream,smooth and good on the running gear. Both the Detroit and Auto box went into the original mountings. Best thing is the air booster on the hand brake. Also thanks for the compliment.
Phill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks