• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing and Importing a BRDM2

Mac53

Hello everyone!

I've wanted an armored vehicle for a long time... I spend a lot of time on the water, so an amphibious vehicle is just that much cooler to me.

I've been doing a lot of research on purchasing and importing Eastern Block vehicles but I would like some advice from people who have done this before, especially recently, before I make any final decisions.

My questions are:

1) Just how difficult is it to maintain a running BRDM2? Are they fairly reliable, or can I expect to just admire it in my yard?

2)What are all of the fees to expect in addition to purchase and shipping costs?

3) What supplier should I trust to purchase from? There seem to be a lot...and I've read bad things about all of them.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.
Thanks!

Mac53

I have not. I've never imported a vehicle before, so I'm not sure trying to figure out it with another person that possibly hadn't either would be a great idea.

USSR

When buying BRDM 2 check out the engine, the wheels and axles - is his "sick" place)))
As a rule BRDM 2 (after a long storage or conservation at the military warehouse) requires major improvements.
Note on fuel consumption - 40-50 liters per hundred kilometers.
We managed to reduce consumption to 32 liters gasoline by upgrading engine ....
But in general in my country install on BRDM 2 gas balloon station (methane or propane) -it reduces significantly the cost of fuel ...

USSR

Could you tell me more about this gas balloon station? That would be interesting.

What should I try to look for as far as engine, wheels/axles?
Any car kit 4-5 generation. Need to think - where to install additional tanks for gas)))
Buy BRDM - this is a very serious step, which should come responsibility.
As in your country there is little spare parts for BRDM.
All the good parts are available only in Russia, Ukraine or Belarus ... In other countries of the former Warsaw Pact as a rule was only metal trash ...

Advise to pay attention to the brakes and tires (very important moment)

datadawg

I know this is an ancient thread, but FWIW, I spoke to a dealer named Earl in Texas and he has one for $35K. I've been reading up on the BRDM's and trying to figure out if the cheapo ads on Czech armor sites are legit or not. Seems like importing one would be a colossal challenge. Have to get import permit via Form 6 filing with Uncle Sam and there are a ton of "gotcha" moments in the entire process. Still, I'm not keen on overpaying for anything that's stateside, so definitely paralyzed by analysis now.

teletech

I'm part way through my first import for a British armored vehicle and so far it hasn't been too bad, the form-6 is pretty straightforward, I went with a shipper and customs broker that were experienced with the process and that's been a help. I'll update you if I get held up by anything.

datadawg

Has anyone dealt with any of the Czech outfits (exarmyvehicles.com, mortarinvestments.eu, excaliburarmy.com)? Their prices are pretty cheap and the websites look legit. Maybe worth a new thread, but if anyone has direct experience -- good or bad -- please chime in if it's worth pursuing an import via these firms.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks