• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Purchasing new tires

Atchuuu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking of purchasing these from tirerack.com
WRANGLER ENFORCER MT - SIZE: LT37X12.5R16.5

they are expensive as heck but I’m not really wanting to buy used or new old stock tires that are nearly 10 years old.

I assume the run flats are still used in this tire but am waiting on confirmation from the company.

Any suggestions for alternative replacement tires?
current tires are Wrangler MT/R from 2014

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Feltz tire sells Wrangler MT and BFG Baja tires that are date codes newer than 2018 and 100% tread (mounted, stored, but never installed) for $275 each plus freight.

I ordered a set, as have several other people in my area, and everyone is happy with them (BFG Baja)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run flats are usually determined by rim type and pressure you're going to run.
There are many arguments about it, but it usually boils down to if you are never going to air them down, then the beadlock/runflat assembly isn't absolutely necessary to have, but it's certainly nice if you do get a flat and need to drive to somewhere safe to work on it.

Gastrap

Feltz tire sells Wrangler MT and BFG Baja tires that are date codes newer than 2018 and 100% tread (mounted, stored, but never installed) for $275 each plus freight.

I ordered a set, as have several other people in my area, and everyone is happy with them (BFG Baja)

Great people to deal with. I bought a set of MT's and they were 2020 dated new take offs. A couple weeks later I bought a set of run flats and 24 bolt wheels from them. The wheels also appear new and dated 2017.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked at the Wrangler Enforcer MT and would have bought them, but Discount Tire was able to order the Wrangler MT for me, keeping the original look on my 12 bolt, 1988 rims. I paid about $500 a tire (including shipping) for the actual military tires, new. (DOT code was less then 2 months prior to me ordering them, came directly from good year.)

blutow

Bought 4 new Goodyear enforcers from Mac motors, under 2k w shipping. I totally understand the appeal of going used and saving some serious $, but I’ve got a personal hang up on used tires. Mounted them up w run flats and amazed that they run nice and smooth up to 70+ with no balancing. I know that was just luck (could happen w used also) but I still have a bias toward new rubber.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you buy a used car or truck and the tires seem fine you don't run out and check date codes or just change out the tires just because they're used.

If you buy nos tires with a date code of 5 years or less I honestly see no issue at all. When you consider that you can purchase an nos set of tires already mounted on 24 bolt wheels for must less than the cost of just new loose tires I don't get the debate. The cost to mount them is far from inexpensive.

My nos MTRs were five years old when I purchased them and I have now had the truck over five years. The tires still look new with zero cracking. I know the main issue as tires get older is they get harder and a tad rougher but still fine in my eyes for the old girl. It's an old military truck not a new corvette.

Sorry for the rant. Just my .02 cents.

Mark

country

Supporting Vendor
Thinking of purchasing these from tirerack.com
WRANGLER ENFORCER MT - SIZE: LT37X12.5R16.5

they are expensive as heck but I’m not really wanting to buy used or new old stock tires that are nearly 10 years old.

I assume the run flats are still used in this tire but am waiting on confirmation from the company.

Any suggestions for alternative replacement tires?
current tires are Wrangler MT/R from 2014

here are some 2018 DOT Wranglers

TI-1830 | TI-1830 Goodyear Wrangler MTR 37x12.50R16.5LT Tire 100% Tread (7).JPG
TI-1830 | Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 37x12.50R16.5LT Radial Tire New 100% Tread
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 37x12.50R16.5LT Tire 100% Tread
NSN #: 2610-01-563-8328
Part #: 12518665
Price: $289.00

blutow

When you buy a used car or truck and the tires seem fine you don't run out and check date codes or just change out the tires just because they're used.

If you buy nos tires with a date code of 5 years or less I honestly see no issue at all. When you consider that you can purchase an nos set of tires already mounted on 24 bolt wheels for must less than the cost of just new loose tires I don't get the debate. The cost to mount them is far from inexpensive.

My nos MTRs were five years old when I purchased them and I have now had the truck over five years. The tires still look new with zero cracking. I know the main issue as tires get older is they get harder and a tad rougher but still fine in my eyes for the old girl. It's an old military truck not a new corvette.

Sorry for the rant. Just my .02 cents.

Mark
First of all, I would definitely check tire date codes if buying a used car, especially if it's a low miles car more than a few years old. I learned that lesson the hard way buying a chevy caprice back in the day that had 4 new-looking michelins on it (it was actually a selling point in my mind, no cracking and full tread). I bought it from a retired couple that never put any miles on it and the tires were aged out. Wife had a blow out and I figured it was just bad luck. Wife had second blow out, checked date codes and the tires were like 11 years old (I was young and foolish not checking dates after the first blowout). Thank goodness nobody was hurt, but not a happy wife and lesson learned after putting 4 new tires on it.

I think new vs. used really depends on how you use your hmmwv. Mine isn't a daily driver and I might average 2000 miles a year on it (only 1600 this last year I've had it). I actually drive it 2-3 times per week, just lots of short trips. So, I figure my tires will likely age out before they wear out (maybe). Even stored in a garage most of the time, 10 years is about the max I'm gonna be comfortable before replacing them. I paid a little under $500/tire for my new Enforcers, so I figure $50/year per tire and I don't need to mess with remounting them for 10 years. If I buy a 2018 date code tire, I only have 6 years of life remaining, so it needs to cost at least 40% less than a new tire and then I'll be remounting them in 6 years. Remounting 4 tires with run flats is a pain in the butt and would take me at least a day, probably a weekend at the pace I move (and I'd be buying new o-rings, etc.). No right or wrong answers here, I'd absolutely consider used tires from a good source if I was putting 10k miles a year on my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks