• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Push Button light Switch, fire hazard??

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the "extra wire thing" is a load of crap. They are all the same, they all burn/catch fire/melt. Not worth it. I talked to the manufacturer one day, there is no "1st version/2nd version. I had one until it almost melted my wiring harness..

Last edited:

Smokinyoda

the "extra wire thing" is a load of crap. They are all the same, they all burn/catch fire/melt. Not worth it. I talked to the manufacturer one day, there is no "1st version/2nd version. I had one until it almost melted my wiring harness..
Thanks for clearing that up. Looks like I was lied to.

Gunzy

The push button switch may be OK if ALL of your lighting has been converted to LED. Even if they are I would still use the 3 lever type switch.

dmetalmiki

WOW! Talk about taking a simple switching device and turning it into one complicated, malfunction prone piece of crap.
Great comment, and (so) heart felt! Frankly there is much about modern Fighting vehicles that leaves so much to be desired.
I for one UNDO the "new style " handbrake levers on the deuces. Especially thought out and carefully designed to be (accidentally?) pushed off every time you exit the flipping truck!. There are other pointers..but I reckon most folks know (and just) put up with them. (rant over).

papakb

The push button light switch looks pretty cool but after having one in the HMMWV for the last 4 years I can tell you I'd never install another one. I've had no electrical problems of fires but to operate the d**n thing you have to look at it to make sure your hitting the right switch so if your motivating down the road it's a bummer. The old 3 level switch operates just fine and can be done by feel.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

papakb

light switch

The extra ground wire on the push button switch was for the HMMWV who's body is such a piss poor return path to ground. It needed to have the switch electrically bonded to the ground system so that added a wire that physically attached it directly to that system..I have a push button switch in my HMMWV and hate the darned thing. You have to look at it to make sure your pushing the right button and even then you have to push them twice. Give me the old brail system three lever switch that you can operate with your eyes closed.Remember the KISS principle, it works!

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks