• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Push button light switch

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
What caught on fire in these trucks? The switch itself or more?
The switch itself will turn cherry red and smoke or smolder

Regardless of the ground you put on it or the lights you have on your truck, LED or incandescent, a gen 1 will burn out just cause it wants to.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Lawdog734

As mentioned elsewhere - it's obvious that you're seeking a consensus on an opinion that matches your own. Stop dancing around it and just do it if you want to use it that bad. Well respected people here and elsewhere have warned you of the potential danger, others have as well and have seemingly been lucky given the known issue attributed to this switch, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the 3-lever. You spouting off about how you apparently know better and that the military is installing them improperly is quite frankly, insulting.

These aren't in service in HMMWV's for a reason. If you're feeling froggy and want to go for it, then jump.

erasedhammer

As mentioned elsewhere - it's obvious that you're seeking a consensus on an opinion that matches your own. Stop dancing around it and just do it if you want to use it that bad. Well respected people here and elsewhere have warned you of the potential danger, others have as well and have seemingly been lucky given the known issue attributed to this switch, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the 3-lever. You spouting off about how you apparently know better and that the military is installing them improperly is quite frankly, insulting.

These aren't in service in HMMWV's for a reason. If you're feeling froggy and want to go for it, then jump.
There's nothing wrong with a little discussion. If you don't like it then don't bother reading this thread.
As for the installation, I'm simply commenting on what I've been told by others, its not my opinion, its what others have seen been done both on civi owned trucks and in service ones.

dilvoy

The switch itself will turn cherry red and smoke or smolder

Regardless of the ground you put on it or the lights you have on your truck, LED or incandescent, a gen 1 will burn out just cause it wants to.

It will probably try to take the main body wire harness on the smoky ride too!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I would like to see you park your HMMWV under some of the tall pole powerlines and tell me it has a good ground on it anywhere. You will know what I mean when it happens. A lot of surplus places sell the Gen 1 switch and it does not have any warranty. not even 30 days. cause they know what it is gonna do.

On reference to the power lines. almost every HMMWV I have worked on at a customers yard has those big powerlines overhead and HMMWVs shock the crap out of you. even hooking jumper cables to it and burying a piece of steel with it hooked to it. It is retarded. the M35s and 5tons don't do it at all. nor does any other equipment. But the HMMWVs bite and bite hard. CUCV's don't even bite me. After some frustrating times If I ground the HMMWV thru cables to another truck it doesn't shock. and I am talking about 12 to 15 different HMMWVs.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

I would like to see you park your HMMWV under some of the tall pole powerlines and tell me it has a good ground on it anywhere. You will know what I mean when it happens. A lot of surplus places sell the Gen 1 switch and it does not have any warranty. not even 30 days. cause they know what it is gonna do.

On reference to the power lines. almost every HMMWV I have worked on at a customers yard has those big powerlines overhead and HMMWVs shock the crap out of you. even hooking jumper cables to it and burying a piece of steel with it hooked to it. It is retarded. the M35s and 5tons don't do it at all. nor does any other equipment. But the HMMWVs bite and bite hard. CUCV's don't even bite me. After some frustrating times If I ground the HMMWV thru cables to another truck it doesn't shock. and I am talking about 12 to 15 different HMMWVs.
Pretty much all of my off roading involves driving under the big powerlines. Never heard or have experienced that problem...
But all the more reason why the switch needs to be grounded to the alt and body, to give it the best ground POSSIBLE.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pretty much all of my off roading involves driving under the big powerlines. Never heard or have experienced that problem...
But all the more reason why the switch needs to be grounded to the alt and body, to give it the best ground POSSIBLE.
Yeah. It won't. Sorry. Especially not with the military style alternator. Try finding a Gen 3 switch. It will save you troubles.

erasedhammer

Yeah. It won't. Sorry. Especially not with the military style alternator. Try finding a Gen 3 switch. It will save you troubles.

Considering that others have had years without problems I'll take my chances with how I've been told to install it.

If anyone sold the gen 3 switches I wouldn't have bought the gen 1.

erasedhammer

They do. I know of 2 Surplus places that do for under $225. but this is a gen 1 out come if you don't get it unplugged in time when it starts to go.
My dude, show me the way.
I didn't find any place that sold them, so I got a cheap gen 1, Ill pick up a gen 3 immediately...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will have my friend message you thru facebook. The one you messaged on the GEP motor to trade the slantback stuff.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Does your friend not use facebook very often because he doesn't respond for a couple days.
If hes busy he is busy. Not everyone lives on there. I don't have a facebook so i don't know his status on there.

kapkanimd

My truck came with it installed. Looks like a good install, it is very easy to use, and I have had no issues after a year of ownership and about 1k miles. I don't think twice about keeping it.

Irrespective of the negative press and unrelated to having the switch, I do have the driver seat fire extinguisher and I installed a battery cut off to use when the truck is parked.