• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Put the old girl to work

Hunter2506

Nice! Makes for fewer trips than all the cute little "heavy duty" pickups! Lol.

Mine got a workout today, too. Blizzard Monday afternoon through mid day yesterday dumped 2 feet of really wet, heavy snow on us. I winched out everything from small SUVs to pulling a Ram 4500 crew cab sideways up a steep drive. These trucks never fail to impress!

XchaosX

It is nice be able to haul 10x's as much as my pickup with deuce barely breaking a sweat. We have had a really mild fall so far this year. Hopefully it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass. As the last 2 winters have been rough

Hunter2506

I have a bad feeling about winter here also
I think we may all be in for it this year, whole el nino thing. I just know we had crazy precipitation here in CO all summer, and we're way overdue for some heavy snow fall. Heck, the 2006 blizzard here was the reason I bought a deuce, and we haven't had anything serious since!

It and it's little brother winched/dragged out a dozen and a half vehicles since yesterday afternoon. No pics in action, just one of them resting after the work was done:

Deuce and RC.jpg

And yes, that 12' plow in the bed is to be mounted shortly, although it will be cut to 10' so I can get through my gates.

rustystud

I think we may all be in for it this year, whole el nino thing. I just know we had crazy precipitation here in CO all summer, and we're way overdue for some heavy snow fall. Heck, the 2006 blizzard here was the reason I bought a deuce, and we haven't had anything serious since!

It and it's little brother winched/dragged out a dozen and a half vehicles since yesterday afternoon. No pics in action, just one of them resting after the work was done:

View attachment 594826

And yes, that 12' plow in the bed is to be mounted shortly, although it will be cut to 10' so I can get through my gates.
How are your tires in the snow ? Do you use chains ?

Hunter2506

How are your tires in the snow ? Do you use chains ?
The NDTs do OK up to 1-1/2 or 2 feet, provided there is not ice underneath. Get those center ribs on slick stuff, though, it's real easy to get these trucks stuck.

I do have chains for all 10, just didn't bother this time around, as it's an ordeal to get them on and properly tightened, and I can always recover with the winch.

Akicita

I have only seen plows for the Deuce in picture and am curious how you'll make out with yours. With enough weight in the back for pressure on the tires, you should be able to move a lot of snow, particularly since you cut the width by two feet. Please post pictures when you get to use that plow on your truck.

I have a relatively short driveway and couldn't use a plow like that where I live now (near Philadelphia, PA) but when you don't have narrow roads and tight turns to worry about, they're probably a blast to use.

Hunter2506

First, sorry XchaosX, I do not mean to hijack the thread, and I'll start another if need be. That said:

I have only seen plows for the Deuce in picture and am curious how you'll make out with yours. With enough weight in the back for pressure on the tires, you should be able to move a lot of snow, particularly since you cut the width by two feet. Please post pictures when you get to use that plow on your truck.

I have a relatively short driveway and couldn't use a plow like that where I live now (near Philadelphia, PA) but when you don't have narrow roads and tight turns to worry about, they're probably a blast to use.
It still has the CDOT super structure and angling rams, but no chassis mount. We have CAD designed a really slick mount that will be 3/8" plate running underneath and extending along the sides of both frame rails back to the fender supports, then 2 pieces of 1x3" bar stock will be bolted just forward of the bump stops over the leaf springs and run up to the back of the mount. The plow pins will pivot on the 1" steel plates welded and gusseted to extend below the mount. Angling rams will be powered by a Haldex 24V pump I scored on fleabay, raising and lowering will most likely be with winch over a stinger with pulley, although I'm still considering a hydraulic ram for that as well.

As far as weight in the back, I'm trying to decide how best to do that in such a way that the bed is not useless for hauling. I have a Farmall H with loader, but it's probably only good for 800-1,000 pounds without really straining things. The hydraulics can do a lot more, but the structure is not near as substantial as what you'd find on a tractor that was actually made to have a loader. So, what I'd like to find are probably a bunch of ~400-500 lb concrete blocks with eyelets that I can easily load and unload.

Like you, I have a relatively short driveway and do not need such a beast to handle it. But the county is large with very limited resources, so it can take a day or two for plows to get here. The idea with this is helping out the neighborhood.