• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting a HMMWV 400 AMP alternator on a Cummins NHC250. Has anyone done it? Need info

fiero11

Would be happy to see some ideas. I have the Niehoff 450 amp generator which is about the same size with a different voltage regulator that I am wanting to install in my M923a2 with a Cummins 6 CTA turbo engine. Its got a little more room to work with, but it too has cooling lines in the way and is tight. I have a upgrade mounting bracket for the 200 amp Niehoff that will support the 450 amp and mounts to the engine, but would love some ideas to make the install easier!

74M35A2

I measured the recharge current after start on my 925A2 with the stock 60A alternator. It was 6 amps max just after the engine fired, which then trickled down to near zero. This was recharging two new group 31 batteries in series. The 8.3L engine fires off almost instantly, especially in temps over 40F. I sell high output 24v alternators because people want them, not necessarily because they are needed. They are much higher quality than the originals though, designed to last a minimum of 150,000 miles. I hope this answers some of your recharge questions.

fiero11

Thanks for the info and if I was just using a normally supplied truck, the 60 amp unit would be fine, but I have extra equipment loaded such as 3 radios, numerous HID lighting mounted on the truck, and power converters I am wanting to power without draining the batteries during use. I just happen to get a good price on the Niehoff 450 amp generator NIB and was able to fine modified brackets to mount it with. I would love to find a high output alternator that is about 225 amps with a j180 mount and a 7/8" shaft for an 8 groove serpentine belt. That would probably be more than sufficient.

Last edited:

74M35A2

The niche alternator manufacturers are ok but sensitive to failing due to temperature of the electronics. If you are able to route outside air the the cooling air inlet of the alternator, it will drop the operating temp of the alternator by nearly 100F, as underhood air temps are typically 200F. One way to do this on an M939 would be to use or branch into the heater air inlet tube that goes to the front grill. Even a piece of flex hose that would route forward/sideways/down below the radiator level would help its longevity greatly.

fiero11

Your knowledge on alternators and generators seems to be pretty extensive, not to mention helpful. Would you have a recommendation for a smaller high output alternator that would cover two high out put radios, an EyeCon 360 MRAP light kit, a 3500 watt power inverter, and the usual fair of other equipment, and charge 2 optima R34 batteries, and fit on a J180 mount with a serpentine 8 groove 7/8" pulley shaft? preferably a single wire type outfit but not necessary in the configuration. I have a Leece- Neville 100 amp unit I am going to use for the moment and replace the older 60 amp one.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your knowledge on alternators and generators seems to be pretty extensive, not to mention helpful. Would you have a recommendation for a smaller high output alternator that would cover two high out put radios, an EyeCon 360 MRAP light kit, a 3500 watt power inverter, and the usual fair of other equipment, and charge 2 optima R34 batteries, and fit on a J180 mount with a serpentine 8 groove 7/8" pulley shaft? preferably a single wire type outfit but not necessary in the configuration. I have a Leece- Neville 100 amp unit I am going to use for the moment and replace the older 60 amp one.
Can you post the input wattage or total for all of your devices? It will save the experts some leg work...

74M35A2

Thanks, but not really. I just guess and then fool eveybody, it's more fun. Looking over your wish list, only 2 things come to mind: (1) How much power will you actually be utilizing from the 3500W inverter (continuous, not peak), and for what amount of average time? (2) This MRAPPER light kit, is that a constant on deal or a temp use remote spotlight type of thing? Find its power draw if you intend to have it on more than say 2 minutes continuous for example. Short term loads are completely disregarded, it is ok to lean on the batteries for that. Your radios are an example here. They use no current in listen mode, hampster on a wheel could power that, and really only punch power in transmit, and unless you are broadcasting bedtime stories, their brief pull can be ignored in an energy balance. Again, it is OK to ask the batteries to help. My favorite way of powering a hungry system is running twin conventional units. Kind of hard to package on the 250 accessory drive, but not impossible, especially if you acquire an A/C compressor mount kit, and just convert it to mount a second alternator, which is easy to do. Like a boat with twin engines, it will still get you home even if one fails. Just have 2 diagnostic LED's in the cab, one for each alt, that would tell you if one went out to lunch, otherwise you may not even know one failed. If you already have the 400A unit, use it if it fits, but it is probably heavier than 10 bowling balls, so make sure it is mounted well enough to lift the engine by, and don't count on it lasting forever unless you can feed it cool air. If you are going to really load it up, increase the idle speed during heavy electrical load to increase the alternator cooling fan airflow and at least try to get the voltage regulator switching on and off to reduce the duty cycle of the alternator field circuitry. If the volt gauge drops down at an idle, the alternator is at full field trying to keep up. Fresh batteries less than 5 years old and seldom been ran dead is step one of a solid system. It lessens the load on the alternator greatly, so that frees it up to run additional toys. It's kind of funny, we get into this stuff because it is fun and bigger is better, but when one does this as a career, then it is like "Hey, you don't really need all that to do what you want.". Try your 400A, consider diesel engine vibration when mounting that heavy of a unit, or get a 250 A/C bracket kit and use two Delco or Delco clones. Clones are $89 each, genuines are $385 each. LN alternators have pretty low quality, hence they win low bids. They are now owned by a Chinese washing machine motor company. They merged with Prestolite just prior in an attempt to stay afloat in the market. For an 8.3, it is easy to add a second alternator onto the factory serp drive. Sorry, writing from phone, not sure which engine, thread title says 250. No paragraph spacing either, oh well.

Last edited:

fiero11

Lots of good info...I understand the engineering overkill situation...not using compressor start up amperage over continual and the like. I have a 450 amp Niehoff that is the same size as the 400 amp but like you said, it is darn heavy (125lbs) and big. I added up all my amperages together and it would be 420 amps total if everything was running at max at the same time...I know this will never happen. The biggest drain on my system is the super heavy duty Warn Winch under load (about 200 amps), the MRAP HID lights are up to 80 amps under load, max, the rest is really negligible. If the 100 amp Leece Neville and the new Optima R34 batteries (900 CCA) can handle that, then I will run with that only, otherwise you have a point of just adding another alternator! By the way, you are right, I have an M923a2 with the Cummins 6CTA turbo in it. The Leece-Neville I have is actually an NOS Prestolite/ Leece- Neville 100 amp alternator made in the USA.

Last edited:

groundzer0

Lots of good info...I understand the engineering overkill situation...not using compressor start up amperage over continual and the like. I have a 450 amp Niehoff that is the same size as the 400 amp but like you said, it is darn heavy (125lbs) and big. I added up all my amperages together and it would be 420 amps total if everything was running at max at the same time...I know this will never happen. The biggest drain on my system is the super heavy duty Warn Winch under load (about 200 amps), the MRAP HID lights are up to 80 amps under load, max, the rest is really negligible. If the 100 amp Leece Neville and the new Optima R34 batteries (900 CCA) can handle that, then I will run with that only, otherwise you have a point of just adding another alternator! By the way, you are right, I have an M923a2 with the Cummins 6CTA turbo in it. The Leece-Neville I have is actually an NOS Prestolite/ Leece- Neville 100 amp alternator made in the USA.
Were you able to get this mounted? Looking to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks