• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting a stereo and speakers in a CUCV pickup

AJMBLAZER

So who's done this? I have a 8 hour or so round trip coming up and wouldn't mind having something to listen to other than myself and the engine.

I'm thinking a simple system, just a CD player in the factory spot (I know I'll need to cut), some 3.5" dash speakers, and some 6.5's in the doors. Nothing fancy, not looking to win any competitions.

Is there ANY of the factory wiring harness in these things? I've heard conflicting opinions. Some say the wires were left there as GM didn't feel like taking the time to ensure the CUCV's didn't get them while others have said it's not there at all.

What did you guys do? Got pictures, diagrams, write ups, ideas, thoughts, yadda yadda...?

What did you guys use for antennas?

JB

I wrapped the main power wire of my pioneer tape deck/radio into a fuse on the fuse block (don't remember which one) then ran the auxillary (clock) power wire directly to the #2 battery used an 30 watt in-line fuse 6 years later and no problems.

Oh yeah I just ran blocked speakers to sit on the rear fenders. I did install small 3.5 or some such small speakers in teh dash like a civy.

86k10

I just put in a CD player, one wire to switched ignition in the fuse panel and the other one to a constant 12 volt source. Put Alpine box speakers that were made to sit behind a seat, sounds really nice and can drown out the engine noise very well.

AJMBLAZER

Did you guys use anything special to tap into the fuse panels? I've had regular spade connectors recommended and special fuse taps as well...not sure which to use.

Any idea what size inline fuse I should use? Should both the constant and switched power be fused?

Wire gauge?

Why did some of you run the constant power to the battery instead of the fuse box? There's open slots there that get constant power...

JB

I went to the battery as I did not want to put too much wiring to the box, I don't know much about electrical stuff & I wanted to keep that contact to a minimum. I used whatever gauge wire came with the stereo. I used the inline fuses provided. My 1984 blazer has teh stereo in it & it is stored @ 30 miles from where I am. Next time I'm out there i'll try to remember to get specific answers to your questions.

AJMBLAZER

That would be appreciated man!

What did you do for an antenna?

I ordered my stuff from Crutchfield today. Should be here Wednesday at the latest. 8)

JB

I ran a long antenna wire to the back under carpet & used a flex antenna out of the top. There was a small hole there in the roof before. The cable had to be secured but it worked. A friend just mounted the antenna inside the rear left window on the rail in his M1009. Not sure of his reception. By the way this truck was civilianized whereas I have a second that was resored to original condition.

Starlight

Isn't the ignition 24v ? There's 12v on fuse panel that comes on off with key switched ? thanks, as I"m also installing stereo or should I say RE installing. The guy who put this in has me turning stereo and sat reciever on and off manualy . I can just see someone leaving it on and killing the batt's . Thanks,Capt.T

CCATLETT1984

Starlight said:
Isn't the ignition 24v ? There's 12v on fuse panel that comes on off with key switched ? thanks, as I"m also installing stereo or should I say RE installing. The guy who put this in has me turning stereo and sat reciever on and off manualy . I can just see someone leaving it on and killing the batt's . Thanks,Capt.T
While the starter is 24v all of the electrics on the truck are 12v, there are both 24v and 12v ignition switched fuse spots in the panel, so use your multimeter.

AJMBLAZER

I got mine in this week after three late nights. Still need to fine tune it and figure out all of the radio's features. Still...

...I have a stereo!

eodmule

Since I have a very basic understanding of a 24v system, how would I put in a 2000 watt system into a M1008? I have a 800 watt 4-way amp and a 1200 watt 2-way amp with a 1F capacitor.

I need to hook a 4 gauge cable and a 150 amp breaker to the battery but don't want to run 24v through my system, that would be bad.

AJMBLAZER

You'd just run it off of the first battery...I think...you might want to wait for someone to definitely answer that...

I know it can be done, some of these guys have done it.

Oh yeah, the only issue I've discovered is the two switches on the dash for the military convoy lights cut the power to the radio when you turn them on and off...whoops. Got the thing all dialed in and setup like I wanted and then erased all my settings...
...more of a reason to turn them into offroad light switches.

mangus580

AJM is exactly right. Just run all your power to the front battery...

Now... that said........ With that kind of draw, your charging system might not keep up. One also has to ask, why in tarnation would you need 2000 watts in a pickup? I used to run 240 watts in my old civvy chevy, and you couldnt stand to be in the cab... Save your hearing man!!!

Somemedic

I left my hole cover plate on the console. I didnt want to have the local contingent of thugs getting my radio goodies. Anyway heres what I did to put some tunes into my CUCV Blazer (same could be done for the pick-up):

I ran a main power wire off the front battery + to a small 4-way fused distribution block. It was drilled and placed in the area of the gun rack behind the drivers seat. Next step is up to you, it kinda camoflauges the equipment and makes it look like it belongs there... I took the piooneer amp apart and sprayed it the same color that the interior is (like 383 carc green). It was mounted close to the distribution block. Ran the wiringto a couple of 6x9 speaker boxes. I almost used ammo cans thinking it would look way cooler but changed my mind. The boxes I used can be purchased at Wal-mart cheap. Take the carpet off and sprayed them green so they wouldnt stand out. I then pluged a 6' ear phone jack into a double RCA into the input of the amp. The blue turn-on (antanea or ignition wire) was pluged into the IGN portion of the fuse block on the kick pannel under the dash. Thats so it turns on when I turn the ignition on and doesnt drain the battery. Now with the earphone jack i could plug in a walkman or minidisc or mp3 player and the signal gets 200wats into a pair of sony 6x9 3way speakers. Unless you know what your looking at theres nothing on the dash to indicate that theres any stereo inside. I can also take my mp3 player with me when i exit the vehicle and its smaller than most faceplates. BOO-Yahh
If I want I can put another amp in the same area or behind the passenger seat and run the power wire to the distribution block. I already put speakers in the dash but have yet to hook them up. I only have a 2way amp.
But thats how I roll. Nobody knows the equipments there and thats a beautiful thing.

eodmule

This stereo system is in my Fullsize Bronco right now. I'm going to be getting a CUCV in the next two days and will have to have a few things done to it (new seat, tires and change the gear from 4.56's to something a little more highway-worthy) before it becomes my daily driver. Then it gets my stereo after I retire the Bronco.

I have a friend who does fiberglass and he's going to help me make a custom behind the seat sub and speaker panel in OD Green. He's also helping me make a custon iPod holder in the old ashtray.

I'll have to post some pictures after I get it all done.

ultim8gamr

Somemedic said:
I left my hole cover plate on the console. I didnt want to have the local contingent of thugs getting my radio goodies. Anyway heres what I did to put some tunes into my CUCV Blazer (same could be done for the pick-up):

I ran a main power wire off the front battery + to a small 4-way fused distribution block. It was drilled and placed in the area of the gun rack behind the drivers seat. Next step is up to you, it kinda camoflauges the equipment and makes it look like it belongs there... I took the piooneer amp apart and sprayed it the same color that the interior is (like 383 carc green). It was mounted close to the distribution block. Ran the wiringto a couple of 6x9 speaker boxes. I almost used ammo cans thinking it would look way cooler but changed my mind. The boxes I used can be purchased at Wal-mart cheap. Take the carpet off and sprayed them green so they wouldnt stand out. I then pluged a 6' ear phone jack into a double RCA into the input of the amp. The blue turn-on (antanea or ignition wire) was pluged into the IGN portion of the fuse block on the kick pannel under the dash. Thats so it turns on when I turn the ignition on and doesnt drain the battery. Now with the earphone jack i could plug in a walkman or minidisc or mp3 player and the signal gets 200wats into a pair of sony 6x9 3way speakers. Unless you know what your looking at theres nothing on the dash to indicate that theres any stereo inside. I can also take my mp3 player with me when i exit the vehicle and its smaller than most faceplates. BOO-Yahh
If I want I can put another amp in the same area or behind the passenger seat and run the power wire to the distribution block. I already put speakers in the dash but have yet to hook them up. I only have a 2way amp.
But thats how I roll. Nobody knows the equipments there and thats a beautiful thing.
Where did you put the 6x9s? I have a friend that put them in her door, but i kindof want to leave the door as is for now. just wondering if you have another solution. i plan on fabbing up m own box/panel to go behind the seat and in the rear corners of the cab of my M1008.