• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

putting jet fuel, motor oil, kerosine, vegi oil, and biodiesel in your cucv gas tank

michaelcola192

So this guy on Craiglist is selling a really nice m1008... but he said he has put all of the above in it to power it............ Ok so since this guy is an idiot what are some/all of the negative effects this would have on the internal components? and should i buy it for 3,000? please help me out

Ken_86gt

Why would you say he is an idiot? I have put small amounts of motor oil and kero in my tank- no issues here. It is a great way to get rid of used motor oil. Kero and jet fuel are basically like more refined diesel, just less lubrication properties.

If it runs well it probably does not have any issues?

jdknech

the only thing i won't run in my 6.2/6.5 diesels is USED moter oil... over time it seem the IP doesnt hold up well to it... but i run more jet fuel and kerosine(same thing) then road diesel in mine... its been years since my M1009 has had "normal" diesel in it:driver:

Barrman

The IP and injectors will suffer from the darker/heavier fuels. Figure $600-$1000 to replace the pump and injectors after 20-30K miles when the used oil is run in the 6.2. If you are saving enough by running that instead of diesel and not having those parts last 100K miles. Then go for it. Just realize it may fail some place not convenient to you.

The lighter fuels don't hurt a thing. Except, as mentioned above. They are drier and need to have some kind of lubricating fuel treatment mixed in. Stanadyne makes just the thing.

Keith_J

The injection pump is lubricated by the fuel. Kerosene/jet A/ JP8 are hard on the wear areas. There was a report by the Southwest Research Institute's Belvoir Fuel Research Division with regards to DB2 injection pump failures on JP8.

I would run D2 with 1:128 TC-W3 two-stroke outboard oil. That is an ounce of oil per gallon of diesel. If you look around, you can get this for $15/gallon. Of course this adds $0.12 per gallon of cost. Most D2 has biodiesel added at 2-5% for lubrication so you could go 1:256.