• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Putting the Mutt on a leash.

M715VFD405

I've been looking at getting a Mutt and I was wondering what would be the best tow bar to get. I'd be using my M715's pintle hitch to tow it around and home nothing major just something to move it around and I don't want to use a strap or chain. I've tried looking around a bit but I figured someone on here would know more about where to get such things and what the best type would be to get.

M715VFD405

Care to elaborate on that? What are the problem points on flat towing it? Although it would only be towed right at a mile to get it from where it is now. But if I wanted to tow it later on I'd like to know things like this.

M715VFD405

OK I can see that happening if you towed it around to much or wanted to pull it behind an RV on a trip but that would be any and all vehicles. I was looking for m151 specific problems and what type of tow bar would be best. The only tow bars I've found were intended for the CUCV and bigger MVs. While I'm sure one of these would work but is there a smaller tow bar that would be better suited?

salt6

Just tow it. I have an old harbor fright tow bar and an old bumper with the mounts on it I use. The only thing I do is bungy cord the stearing wheel. If you have a military tow bar use it.

M715VFD405

Harbor fright would be a civilian tow bar with a bar hitch mount? I was looking for a military tow bar cause my M715 only has a pintle hitch and it's the only vehicle I have that would be able to tow anything.

nattieleather

The only problem with flat towing is that sometimes the steering will get cocked on you as you make a turn. The other problem I've had in the past is the steering going left-right left-right and setting up an osilation back and forth from a bump or uneven road. Generally if you slow down it will even out and then you can pick up speed again. I built an A-frame tow bar when I had a Mutt. A lunet ring from TSC, two 3.5 foot lengths of 2 inch box tubing and a a piece of the box tubing to go between the to legs making a triangle. I started by welding to front M151 shackles to the bottom tubing section. Put shakles on mutt, clamp to tubing tack up. Remove from truck and finish welding. Weld up rest of box tubing and lunet ring and you have a custom made M151 tow bar. Worked great for many years. Pulled it behind the following vehicles with no issues. a F-250, a M1009, a M1028 and even behind a M35a2 (though when I did this I always had someone following me because you couldn't see the little mutt behind the duce and you wouldn't know if you had the wheels locked or flopping bakc and forth etc.

Anyway that's my 2cents for what it's worth.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The medium towbar would be the easiest to get. The small would be even better but they are not as plentiful and can fetch a few extra bucks when the seller knows what it is. Other than that, civy or start fabricating.

L1A1

Not sure how the pintle hook is attached to the rear of an M715 but fore towing my mutts, I use one of the civi jeep tow bars from one of the jeep parts places. Had the local fab shop make up a couple of replacement front tow shackle brackets that fit my civi tow bar (OEM ones were to narrow & flimsy).

My tow vehicle is a 2001 Dodge Dakota. I never tow the vehicle very far and have never had problems with the "counter steering" effect some have mentioned on here.

The first time I ever towed one (mutt), I secured the steering wheel as per other's advice and when I had to make turns/ go around corners, the little jeep screeched and hopped all over the place. Now I leave the steering wheel alone and the jeep turns with the tow vehicle & corrects itself. Towing the short distance you mentioned shouldn't be a problem at all.
Matt

Barrman

Chris, a regular medium tow bar with the small feet is what "fits" both the 151 and the 715. If you want to buy, contact Sermis since he has all the pieces and a 151 to make sure everything really does fit.

Borrowing is another story. Most of us with a tow bar don't like them to be "visiting" other trucks because you never know when you are going to need it. That written. There are a lot of people with tow bars within a 100 miles of you. Maybe one of them could be talked into coming out and pulling the thing home for you.

M715VFD405

Thanks for the info Tim. I don't like to borrow or let people borrow from me, my dad "loaned" a guy a very expensive hunting bow many years ago when he asked for it back the guy said no. My dad got the police and court involved and he lost the bow just from the guy saying "he let me borrow it and I'm not done borrowing it". I can get it home and it's not stuck somewhere so I don't feel the need to ask for help getting it anywhere as yet. I was just kicking around ideas for now I don't own it just seeing what's out there as far as towing it. Hows life down in Tx these days?

combat32

Hope it don't take as long for you as it did on mine, took the previous owner about 6 years to think about it in my case but it all worked out in the end:beer:

M715VFD405

I'd rather not wait that long but a couple weeks or maybe a month or 2 and I won't sweat it to much. I have to say I really have fallin in love with this jeep and my gut says it's gonna be mine just have to play my cards right.:driver: :beer:

o1951

Hope it is a m151A2. I do not like the m151. It had swing axles like the original Corvair, and tended to roll. In fact, I thought the military was going to cut them up for scrap, and not sell them.
The A2 is a great machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks