• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pyrometer installation and settings

cessnatwin

I have a digital 24v EGT/Pyrometer gauge that I purchased for my M35a2 turbo model truck. I want to know where is the best place to install the probe into the exhaust pipe and what is the ideal temp that is safe to run her too. I have the main body of the injector pump regulator bi-passed straight into the front of the pump. Thanks for the help!

jwaller

put it in the collector before the turbo. most need to be drilled and tapped. so be careful not to put any drilling shaving or debris into the exhaust.

baxter

I ran mine in the back of the manifold, the rear gets hotter than the front and it is already drilled and tapped I keep mine under 1150 deg.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here we go again. :grin:

All joking aside, The best place for the probe is right before it goes into the turbo. 1300deg is the absolute max as far as temps go but I wouldn't want to stay there long.

There are many threads on this subject. ;-)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran mine in the back of the manifold, the rear gets hotter than the front and it is already drilled and tapped I keep mine under 1150 deg.
Where are you getting this info? I'm not disagreeing with you, I've just never heard that said about the multifuel.

baxter

If you are talking about the back geting hotter than the front it is more from my experience with larger diesel engines mostly in tractors and the such. there was also one of the manny threads on this subject a while back there were a few folks talking about installing two pyros and seeing the difference from front to back. If I remember right the difference wasnt alot. I know some guys have installed two one on each side of the collector just above the turbo.

cessnatwin

what is the average temp you guys see just driving around, treating like you like it, not beating the snot out of it? also how hard is it to get it up to 1300 degrees?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what is the average temp you guys see just driving around, treating like you like it, not beating the snot out of it? also how hard is it to get it up to 1300 degrees?
It all depends on how far you turn the fuel screw. In stock form you don't have to worry about the EGT much but I wouldn't touch the fuel setting without a pyro.

steelandcanvas

Just cruisin' about 600 degrees, she ran up to about 900 real quick when pulling a grade with my foot in it. My probe is post -turbo. Your results may vary. I have learned recently to put a disclaimer with my posts about turbos.

DieselBob

Mine is mounted right before the turbo. With the fuel at the setting it was when I got the truck no matter how hard I would push it I couldn't get to 1000deg. I need to turn up the fuel on mine but I didn't want to do that until I could monitor the temp.

pjpiche1

I install mine in the upper neck of the turbo. The neck has two ports. Make sure you drill into the center of one of them. If you are looking at the turbo from the pass. side, mark the center and then divide that in half and that will be your center to drill. Basically, one forth of the turbo dimension starting at the rear of the turbo. I use the rear one. Because, it is easier to get a drill and tap too. If you keep grease on your drill bit and tap the metal filings will stick to your tooling. This will prevent any metal filings from getting in your turbo. Take your time.

I have my truck turned up to where it reaches around 1150 in a hard acceleration. I really have to watch my pyro on hills and when pulling trailers. It will exceed 1200 in seconds when it is lugging. I ended up adding 22 flats to my pump. My truck seems to cruise about 850 on semi hilly to flat roads.

Philip

baxter

I have turned up my fuel and I get about 900 at 55mph on the freeway and pulling parlys canyon up to park city wich is a pretty long steep grade I get 1150 - 1200 and can hold 40-45mph. I can stay with and sometimes pass the semis, I amn verry happy with the way my truck is running. I would totally agree with these guys dont turn up the fuel without the pyro. I'll let you know how it does with 395's as soon as I get them mounted.

ida34

I was really not trying to be a stick in the mud but this topic has been covered by several other threads. In fact, one was started less than a week ago. I am usually not a search nazi and like new discussion but this is the same discussion that has been had several times over. Read through the old posts and if you have a specific question bring it or add to one of the already established posts. The extra threads on the same topic clogs the search function. I recently tried to find a couple of old threads with some specific good info and had to week through a couple of hundred topics because of thread duplication. I don't know, maybe this was you problem also but readying all the older posts on the topic should give you a good knowledge base to ask any follow up questions if need be.

Please don't take offense cessnatwin. This was not pointed at you. There just seems to be a trend of posting before searching. I visited this topic a couple of years ago and found threads by Cranetruck IIRC that had a step by step and nice pictures on probe placement for the before turbo installation. I think I may have posted pics of my installation also.

SoylentGreen

Pyrometer

Got my pyrometer installed. ISSPRO R3607TR-AT 12v wired to one battery with a toggle switch for power.
Installed right in front of the turbo.
I had already turned up the fuel after bypassing the FDC which was dumping fuel into the crankcase.
700-900 degrees pushing it on fairly flat roads, 1150 going up hills with it floored. I don't usually hold it to the floor, just testing it.

mikeroot2

Last edited: