• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pyrometer Wiring

zeisshensoldt

Tried wiring for the first time. Stripped part of the temp gauge wires and soldered onto them with correct polarity. I connected up the gauge and flipped the accessory switch, but it did not turn on/illuminate. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

Jeff Nelson

I can't tell for sure which truck wires you've connected your new wires into. Could you give me the wire numbers? If so, I'll try to help.

Edit... Just looked at the schematic. One wire (according to the drawing) goes to the temperature gauge and the voltmeter +. That will be the +24vdc wire. Leave it there and on pyrometer terminal #1. Based on your post, your other wire might be attached to the temperature sensor wire. If that is true, your pyrometer has no ground. Run the wire from the pyrometer #2 to an actual ground in the cab (dashboard screw, bare metal, etc). If the pyrometer does not come on, make sure you have 24vdc on terminal #1. Also, just a side note, you have way too much bare wire at the pyrometer and the wire is too large for its terminals. Note that not everything really needs 14ga wire.

Last edited:

zeisshensoldt

33 and 27. Both of them were plugged into the stock temp gauge. 27 was used as the 24v power lead and 33 as the ground.

Edit: the voltage was checked many times before and after the wires were soldered on. It reads 24v.

zeisshensoldt

Just run a wire from terminal #2 on the pyrometer and see if that works for you.
What do you mean by that? Also, Terminal #3 on the pyrometer shows a small logo of a light on and off. I don't know what that means, perhaps something to do with powering the display?

Jeff Nelson

Should have said run a wire from #2 on the pyrometer to a good ground. You should get something to light. It may be, on that particular unit, that the little light indicator is where you attach the dash light wire for external dimming for the backlight, if it has one. I'm assuming that is an LCD display, in which case it needs the backlight. Send me the name and part number and I'll be able to research it for you.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like you're trying to pick up a ground through the temp sender. I think it will read 24v going from hot to the sender wire with a meter but you can't pull a load off it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks