• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Q: Fan Clutch Hose R&R

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yet another request from the collective on a shortcut or procedures to help me save tearing up my hands, destroying my radiator, or breaking my fan. Once the Florida Inferno subsides in 5 months, I am going to replace all the V-Belts on my M998 6.2 NA and replace the Fan Clutch Host with one of the quick disconnect hoses. I have all the parts, matched V-Belts and the Quick Disconnect Hose so replace the cracking hose without a quick disconnect.

So I go to the technical manual(s), and the procedure they have is:

• It maybe necessary to apply compressed air to clutch adapter. This disengages fan drive clutch to allow access to socket head screws.
Ok, I get that. The fan is enguaged normally with the engine off. So air pressure with disengage the clutch allowing the fan to rotate.

The TM continues:

1. Have container ready to catch fluid.​
2. Loosen clamp (10) and remove control valve hose (9) from bulkhead adapter (5).​
3. Remove bulkhead adapter (5) from bulkhead adapter bushing (8).​
4. Remove nut (6), washer (7), bulkhead adapter bushing (8) and bulkhead adapter (11) from shroud (4).​
5. Release fan drive hose quick-disconnect (2) and remove hose (1) from fan drive (3).​
6. Remove bulkhead adapter bushing (8) from bulkhead adapter (11).​
7. Remove bulkhead adapter (11) from fan drive hose (1).​
8. Remove female end of quick-disconnect (2) from fan drive hose (1).​
9 Remove male end of quick-disconnect (12) from fan drive (3).​

So here is my dilemma, The fan will not rotate without air pressure being applied via the hose I am trying to R&R to the clutch. So if I was to follow the TM process, seems like one would not be able to break the hose fittings at all as you would loose pressure and the fan will lock up making it hard to get at the hose fittings?!?!?!

What is the trick to be able to get at the hose end with a wrench while the fan is impossible to rotate at all?

Another method I found is a YouTube where they were replacing the water pump, so they removed the hood, removed all the radiators and coolers, and then had excellent access to deal with the Fan Clutch Hose - no problem. There has to be a easier way just to R&R the hose.

So other than removing the whole front of the HMMWV to get access from the front - what is the trick to get the hose off without being able to move the fan blades?

I am just planning to understand how to do this in the coming months when it cools off.

Thank you for the secret!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you remove or loosen the belts the fan/water pump will turn so you can access the hose fitting, you only need to pressure up the clutch to align the cap screws to remove the clutch.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why are you going to R-R the clutch? if it is not leaking then “let sleeping dogs lie”

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you remove or loosen the belts the fan/water pump will turn so you can access the hose fitting, you only need to pressure up the clutch to align the cap screws to remove the clutch.
Do'oh! I am brain dead. Makes perfect sense! Thank you!

Why are you going to R-R the clutch? if it is not leaking then “let sleeping dogs lie”
I am not R&R the clutch. Just R&R the hose which is has small cracks in it so I am want to replace just the hose with one that has quick disconnect on it. I have to disconnect the hose at one end anyway to replace the V-belts too.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need to do anything to the clutch or fan to replace that hose. reach in with a wrench and remove the hose from the clutch.. now hope your arms are long enough and you are small enough and reach all the way in and remove the other end of the hose from the fitting through the plastic fan shroud (I needed a second person to do this!)

Install the new hose to the shroud fitting.. install new belts.. then install the hose to the fan clutch (or better yet, get a quick disconnect kit so next time it's easier to change belts.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks