• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about adding an electric fuel pump

Napoleon_Tanerite

I'm looking to add an electric fuel pump to my fuel system to fix an issue I think is caused by a bad check valve. Before you start with the "why don't you replace the check valve" stuff, A) noted, B) because I don't know where it is in the system and I only suspect a check valve C) an electric fuel pump will solve several more potential problems with fuel delivery.

So here's my question. The pump I got is 4-7psi. While I am confident that is more than enough to re-prime a system, will it get in the way of fuel demand during normal operation? I don't want to install a bottle neck in my fuel system and cause problems at high power settings.

Matt65

If your stock lift pump is healthy and keeps up with your Injection Pump now, then all the electric pump has to do is fill the leaks and prime at startup. IMO The pressure of both factory and electric pumps will combine and should be more than enough pressure.

sierrajcharlie

I checked into doing the same thing this past summer. I went to the local NAPA and they looked it up, the GM recomended electric pump for the 6.2 operated at 10-14 psi. It was a NAPA NFP P74001. I did a little checking and a Carter P74001 had the same specs. I think I figured out my issue so the pump change is on the back burner for now. For what it's worth.

reloader64

I'm seriously considering doing the same thing on the wife's civvy Blazer. Changed lift pump, replaced rubber lines, used aftermarket fuel filter, changed gas cap, still hard to start in the morning.

Scott

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RTFM, seriously, you can help yourself...

If you tried to look at the manuals, you would see pictures of all the parts(thus, easily identifying the check valve and where it is located.

Last edited:

Napoleon_Tanerite

RTFM, seriously, you can help yourself...

If you tried to look at the manuals, you would see pictures of all the parts(thus, easily identifying the check valve and where it is located.

I refer you to my first point.....

A) noted.

And I read through the manual and can't find where the check valve is addressed. I read the whole fuel system section and either I'm missing it or it's not there. What page/section is it, oh wise one?

reloader64

I forgot to add-Examined the check valve, which appears clean, and moves freely when pressure is applied. Still hard to start in the morning.

N-T, the check valve is located in the fuel return line fitting, on the injector pump.

Scott

acesneights1

10-14 is high. Too much fuel pressure will screw with the advance. 4-7 is plenty. A factory elec LP for a 1993 Chevy K series with a 6.5 TD is perfect as it is a DB2 equipped truck. The mech LP's are junk anyway. They have a tendancy to cause drainback as well as let go and fill your crankcase with fuel. I always get rid of them.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Added the Mr. Gasket 4-7 psi pump today. Didn't even bother to re-prime the system, I wanted to see what she would do. Turned the key to the first click and heard the pump turn on, a few seconds later I heard the pitch change as it picked up fuel, then the pitch changed again as it hit resistance. I turned the key and the truck fired right up, even though I was parked nose up on my driveway. I test drove it around the neighborhood and in an empty parking lot with a few WOT runs, and it ran like a champ. I'd say I'm fixed, or at least swept my problems under the rug. I think the nicest thing is not having to worry about priming the fuel system anymore after filter changes and such.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Mr. Gasket 12D. I realize it's not spectacular, but it will do until it quits. If it does quit it's a simple matter of re-arranging a few hoses and the truck is back to its original configuration.

reloader64

Where did you mount it? "Rearrange a few hoses" sounds like close to the original lift pump. Where did you get the pump? Last question, I promise.

Last edited:

acesneights1

Although I have seen them mounted pretty much anywhere and work, it's always best, if possible, to mount as close to the fuel tank as you can.

sierrajcharlie

10-14 is high. Too much fuel pressure will screw with the advance. 4-7 is plenty. A factory elec LP for a 1993 Chevy K series with a 6.5 TD is perfect as it is a DB2 equipped truck. The mech LP's are junk anyway. They have a tendancy to cause drainback as well as let go and fill your crankcase with fuel. I always get rid of them.
Thanks for the correction! Glad I didn't proceed with that swap!!

Napoleon_Tanerite

Where did you mount it? "Rearrange a few hoses" sounds like close to the original lift pump. Where did you get the pump? Last question, I promise.
It is right under the passenger seat (under the truck). It sits where the supply line crosses over the frame and runs on the outside of the frame rail. I had to loop the hose and mount the pump backwards to get it to fit right, but it's in there with no kinks in the hoses. For wiring I ran a wire out from the fuse box in the cab down through the firewall and out to where the pump is. Ground is simply on the frame in the hole used to mount the pump. Got the pump from O'Reilly, but they seem to be available at all parts shops.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good old DOGHEAD just the right kind of sentiment for someone asking for help.

Did you forget when you started and could not find your behind with both hands.

I do.

The people on SS are for the most part goos hearted, and joke around quite a bit. But being rude is never kind.

It took me months to attempt to post because I feared YOUR kind of reaction.

Sure he could look it up, but for some one who is not used to the TM's it can be difficult.

My two-bits......so be it