• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about an M820 Cummins engine

Brownac1983

Hello all. I'm looking around for my first large MV. I have a question about one of them. Would a 1970 Kaiser-Jeep M820 5-ton with a Cummins engine be a multi-fuel or diesel only? Would the Cummins be the original engine or a later model replacement (the ad didn't include the engine model)? I've been reading on the forums and it seems that a lot of multi-fuels were converted to diesel only by disconnecting the fuel density compensator. Could this be one of those, or does the Cummins give it away as an originally designed diesel only engine? I understand that most diesels make more power and could become a multi-fuel in a pinch, but I really do want a true hypercycle multi-fuel engine. Thanks.

rrrr

Disconnecting the fuel compensator doesn't make a multifuel a diesel only engine. It just means that other fuels won't produce rated power. They'll still run fine on many different types of fuels even when mixed. My M35a2 has the compensator disconnected and it runs great even with mixed fuels.

My M932 with the NHC250 gets about 6mpg. The 8 series trucks have the NHC250. The earlier M54 and 52 5 tons had the LDS multifuel while the deuce has the LDT multifuel M35A2. Use the search function, these questions have been answered many times. Spend some time in the 5 ton and deuce sections, lots of great information.

sandcobra164

In the Cummins that won't leave my yard, as in owner won't come and pick him up, he's on about 80 percent waste oil at this point and other than taking a little longer to start, he's fine. It's an M818 and I've confirmed visually that it's an NHC-250. Oil the top of the pistons, they do fine with it. As it's not my truck, I just filter and pour in tank, no additives and I think it actually runs better on it. I'm in a Southern Climate, Georgia, I wouldn't recommend it too far north.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro swears he runs his concoction in his 250 and it isn't 100% diesel. I would think that well filtered WMO would run okay in the 0-25% range.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
In the Cummins that won't leave my yard, as in owner won't come and pick him up, he's on about 80 percent waste oil at this point and other than taking a little longer to start, he's fine. It's an M818 and I've confirmed visually that it's an NHC-250. Oil the top of the pistons, they do fine with it. As it's not my truck, I just filter and pour in tank, no additives and I think it actually runs better on it. I'm in a Southern Climate, Georgia, I wouldn't recommend it too far north.
May get away with this for a bit bit the IP and injectors does NOT LIKE it and they will deceide that they are tired being feed crap and go filters up at somepoint in time., the injectors will coke up

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the CHANGE

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ron, switch to Firefox or Chrome web browsers. Spellchecker built into both.

sandcobra164

May get away with this for a bit bit the IP and injectors does NOT LIKE it and they will deceide that they are tired being feed crap and go filters up at somepoint in time., the injectors will coke up

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the CHANGE
Not worried about it, This truck will probably soon be donated to someone who needs a 250 and perhaps spare parts off it. It's been out here about 2 years now and papers have been drawn up and served.

Back on topic, the 250 from what I've read does fine on "mixtures"

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ron, switch to Firefox or Chrome web browsers. Spellchecker built into both.

I have SPELL CHECK built into my GOOGLE tool bar, it works on EVERYWHERE else, not sure my computer can even handle chrome, and as far as firefox, I would need to learn FF how to do

Sorry about the spelling, Google Spell Check does not seem to work with the CHANGE.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only mixture I have run in my 250 is BIO diesel( treated WVO with all the water and goop taken out) or pump diesel mixed 50 :1 to filtered old motor oil or 2 cycle gas oil. The 250 likes the 2 cycle oil the best- she hums right along, running cooler, and with more power then pump diesel.

rrrr

Maybe I'll start adding a little 2 stroke oil in my diesel for my NHC250. I know the multifuels really like it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks