• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about both price and long term viability

Boomcat12B

I have been looking for a new truck to build that can I can live out of while traveling the back country and I came across this M1010 near me on FB. I have been doing a lot of research the last few days before I go to look at it and this seems like one of the best spots for info on these old trucks. So I have a few questions for those smarter than myself on this subject. (The link is to the ad post for the M1010 I am looking at)

Right out the gate I am not sure what a fair price for this rig. From what I can find I am thinking around 11.5 is probably on the high end. They say it is still all original and from another video they sent I have not really seen too much evidence of any hack electrical jobs or a mis match of parts (Though admittedly I know only the basics when it comes to diesels and even less about these trucks currently) I have not seen too many of the dually CUCVtype2's on the market or even online through forums and build posts so I feel like these don't pop up very often. I am also not sure how to calculate the low milage into the price as well. Currently I feel like I would be willing to go as high as 9.5 to buy it, and still feel like that is a fair price for both parties...Am I too far off on this thought?

For the second question... I will be traveling all over the country (US) in this rig, will finding folks to work on it be a problem? I know parts can be an issue, and I have no problem wrenching myself, but some things I want to take to someone who really knows what they are doing and am curious if this might become an issue.

I am also concerned about reliability overall. I do plan on swapping the trans, engine, and suspension over the next year or two, but I would like to make sure it is reliable and useable while I save up which is one of the reasons this low mile rig appeals to me. But the 6.2 is known to have problems so I am a bit worried this might turn into a money pit before I am ready for it to become one. I plan on swapping all fluids, glowplugs, batteries and tires as soon as I get it and then begin the living space build. As soon as that is done I plan on living out of it and traveling the country as I save and slowly swap mechanical parts out. Do I have a good chance of getting to 150,000 plus mile without any major issues (assuming low mileage and everything is factory and in decent shape currently)?

I will be building the rig to permanently live in while also being capable and reliable while traveling the country and spending extended periods of time in the wilderness on my own. I am most excited for the body and axels/ 4x4 on this M1010 as this is a good size to both be livable as well as small enough to handle rougher fire and logging roads. This will be my home for the next few years and I plan on using it over the next 5 to ten years to finish hitting all the states, but if it is going to be more of a pain/ problem than those parts are worth then I will look at going a different route.

However if I do pick this rig up expect to see a lot of questions from me in the near future as well as build progress updates. Thanks for reading this novel and any and all help. It is much appreciated.

For those who don't use FB or don't want to click a link...the summary of the ad -

1990 Chevrolet 3500 HD Regular Cab · Military ambulance · Driven 3,600 miles . Only 3,2XX original miles! 6.2 liter diesel (non turbo). TH 400 Automatic 3 speed transmission. 4 wheel drive works great.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I'm not sure how this works. I think they call these cucv 3s or 2s? I looked at all the pics but I didn't see any badging showing u
Its shipping weight or how to lift it. How do you know that it is a military ambulance?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Boomcat12B

Well I'm not sure how this works. I think they call these cucv 3s or 2s? I looked at all the pics but I didn't see any badging showing u
Its shipping weight or how to lift it. How do you know that it is a military ambulance?
I plan on confirming it through the VIN and govt placard that should still be on it when I look at it. But unless I am mistaken this is a CUCV II which now that i am thinking about it might not be called an M1010 but just Type C. M1010 might of just been for the original CUCV. From what I have been able to research the pics look like the few other ambulances I was able to find from past sales both privately and from Govt sale sites that are of the year and style in the ad. So I am fairly certain I am correct on what it is (but that don't mean much) , just can not confirm until I go and look at it.

Jeepadict

From my view, this does not appear to be any CUCV variant...rather seems to be a GSA build which simply means it's a commercial cab-chassis with no NATO compatibility modifications. I think your intended use will still be just fine.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's not a 1010... I'd say that's better than a 1010. You bump your head when you stand up in a 1010 so maybe that one is a little taller inside. Dual wheel, maybe a little under powered with 150hp but slow and steady...........This is a 1010

canadacountry

well I don't really know much anything about chevrolet pickups (not my favourite in first place as you can see) but still..

nothing wrong but just a tiny friendly nitpick in the name of that its more likely THM400 not TH400 .. which GM has apparently used in quite a large range of cars and pickups so I don't think asking a 'transmission shop that works on commonplace previous-day cars' to fix any problem with it would be much of any asking

I can't say anything about the cucv/hummer 6.2L engine other than that it seem to be actually co-developed with Detroit Diesel and also at same time wikipedia itself suggests that this particular engine was also fitted to the Suburban (that extra-big suv yeaaah..) and at least eleven years of a particular GM van so I guess that this perhaps somewhat says that repair parts may not be difficult? will let someone who has actually gotten dirty on these engine give you a more direct opinion :)

Barrman

I am writing this trying to be nice and not coming across as a mean jerk. Ok?

Any 30 plus year old diesel vehicle you buy was built to be happy at 55 mph. If you have to have someone work on it then no matter what the vehicle is, you will run out of patience and money real fast.

The M725 and the M1010 get picked by people to do what you wish to do all the time. Both on here and on the M715Zone. Yet, the 1 or 2 that actually end up getting so far as to get the vehicle done seem to report they re-gear, re axle, re-engine, re-transmission, etc…. Plus all the RV components that get added.

Not saying it can’t be done or is a bad idea. Just pointing out the collective memory of MV truck web sites

I suggest you decide what you need the vehicle to do. Make a ranking list of what you need.

Cross country highway travel. If going to the Rockies do you want it to be a long comfortable day or 2 long weary days to get to a camping location?

Comfort. Do you want air conditioning that will actually cool you off while driving and any passengers you have?

Do you want to get 10 mpg with gasoline prices or 15 mpg with diesel prices?

You see where this is heading.…

Maybe a gasser Suburban or Excursion or 4Runner might fit your actual needs better.

I am not trying to talk you out of a military vehicle. I think they are great and the people involved with them are second to none. However, if going slow and doing your own maintenance isn’t up there on your list. Maybe a civilian vehicle is a better fit.

nyoffroad

I'm with Barrman on this. I don't think this would truly be feasible. By the time you pay for the truck and do all the fluids and tires, hoses and possibly an injector pump, you'd have quite a chunk of $$ into it and then add all the RV stuff and it just dosn't make sense to me.
I know trucks are high nowadays but a 3/4 or 1 ton civvie 4x4 with a slide in camper would fit the bill and be ready NOW not years from now. ( trust me I know about long term projects! I have one that I painted 20 years ago and have yet to register it!)
A civvie truck might not have the WOW factor but it would get better MPG and blends in better, put a trailer behind it and off you go.
As another option, I've been noticing that a lot of cheaply priced motor homes for sale, pick up one much newer with just a few more miles than what your looking at and have a LOT more space and comfort and still get decent MPG.
But it's your money and your decision, good luck.

Oh yeah, forgot to ad, 150,000 on a 6.2 and TH400 no problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks