• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about Deuce Mileage

FloridaAKM

If you still have the insert filter with the screen in it, watch out after you can't see fuel in the bottom of it; this puts you @ about 50% of a tank & still have about 25 gallons of fuel left. A dip stick will give you a better idea, if you want to push it on how far you can go on that. Running out of fuel, regardless if someone stole your tank dry, really is the pits. I now carry 2-5 gallon military containers of fuel, due to a members loss of fuel to a thief here in the last week or so. Diesel fuel is not cheap, but a tow or walking to get more fuel really bites. The Deuce I have gets about 10 mpg unloaded & 9 mpg loaded with a trailer.......

red

Imperial or US gallons dmetalmiki?

In the TM's the peak fuel economy rpm's are from 1700-2000 for the multifuel. Problem is highway speed, as close as we can safely get, is over that rpm range.

Bill W

I drove my water purification body deuce (HEAVY) from Virginia to So.Fla (990 miles) and got 10mpg going 52mph (2350rpms) which seems to be the sweet spot for these trucks on the highway.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

I drove my water purification body deuce (HEAVY) from Virginia to So.Fla (990 miles) and got 10mpg going 52mph (2350rpms) which seems to be the sweet spot for these trucks on the highway.
Are there any hills going this route ? Or is it pretty flat ? Out here I'm only getting about 8mph to 10mph on average. I haven't taken it on any long trips yet. The longest was about 150 miles. I don't like dealing with the traffic on the major roads so I do back roads driving a lot.

Bill W

Are there any hills going this route ? Or is it pretty flat ? Out here I'm only getting about 8mph to 10mph on average. I haven't taken it on any long trips yet. The longest was about 150 miles. I don't like dealing with the traffic on the major roads so I do back roads driving a lot.
I took I-95 the whole way back so no major hills. On my last back road trip (Ga Rally ) I got about 7mph with my current deuce.

91W350

When I brought my deuce home from Rapid City, it was very cold out, -9 degrees to 10 degrees. I had my M1008 in tow and we almost made 11 mpg. The truck empty would regularly get close to 12 mpg, but I did not run nearly as hard or fast as these guys are talking. 1800 rpm and about 42 mph is as hard as we run going down the road.

rustystud

When I brought my deuce home from Rapid City, it was very cold out, -9 degrees to 10 degrees. I had my M1008 in tow and we almost made 11 mpg. The truck empty would regularly get close to 12 mpg, but I did not run nearly as hard or fast as these guys are talking. 1800 rpm and about 42 mph is as hard as we run going down the road.
With that cold temperature and the engine at 180F or higher your getting a supercharger effect. The dense cold air will expand much more then say temps in the 50F to 80F range.

NYHowie

Well I made it home, average was 9 mpg, drove from Philly to Clarks Summit to stop for a shower and a bed. Got up in the morning and no start! I was upset to say the least, but my copilot was a champ. Turned out to be the solenoid puked on me. Get about 50 miles from home and no brakes, had to keep lots of room and down shifting to gaet to about 5mph and used hand brake to stop. Turned out to be the left rear wheel clynder, fluid and grease on the rim and inside of tire. Trip deffinately gave me a huge respect for anyone who had to drive or ride in MVs for a long distance. Have contacted Eastern Surplus and they are going to take care of items needed. They did awesome work, the truck looks great, I am going to work on getting pictures posted next week.

XchaosX

Glad you made it home in one piece. One of the best mods I've done to my deuces is a remote brake reservoir. Makes checking the brake fluid easy every time you get in the truck. If you need hand changing the wheel cylinder let me know.