• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about Dual oil filter kit 57K4411 4330-01-533-5641

NormB

Anyone actually using one?

Difficult to install (from parts/pictures, it looks deceptively simple, a lot like every other one hour project that's turned into a three hour grudge match maybe)?

In the interest of protecting the engine - dusty environment or no - and adding just a bit of extra lubricating/cooling capacity, is this a reasonable upgrade?

I see these kits selling all over the place but have been hard-pressed to find a write up much less discussion of them.

The search engine on this forum isn't very user-friendly and I've tried the advanced function, Boolean operators, quotations, and can't find a single post for "dual oil filter" or 57K4411.

Solution in search of a problem, or worth the time/effort?

Discuss.

Norm

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one but have not installed it yet as I found it after I did my oil change.

It does "look" simple and straight forward.

My thinking 2 is better than one... Some race applications use dual filters so I thought why not. Also I thought the extra 1/2 qt or qt capacity or so also a good thing.

Kit was pretty cheap and it comes with oil filters made by purolator.

Attached below are the instructions that came with it.

Use the Ones in Caps as that has page 6. The first scan missed it and I don't know how to delete the uploaded file.

Attachments

Last edited:

NV555

I have one installed. It wasn't too hard to install and seems to work well having dual filters makes sense. Someone sold the military on the idea and that's why they have the installation kit. For a few extra bucks however it was worth the money it came with 2 filters inside the kit.

NormB

One of the easier one-hour installations I've done. While I had the transfer case/shafts out, I dropped the old filter block and installed the new dual filter kit. EXCEPT for the center bolt being ridiculously tight (I used an air impact tool on low setting to remove it after trying a short ratchet and then an 18" breaker bar. That thing was TIGHT. internal threads on engine block look fine. Repositioned the oil cooler hose a bit to make it easier to change filters, Hope it makes a difference. Bought a case of WIX filters for something like $5 each, shipped, so it's not THAT much of an investment/cost for whatever insurance I may gain.

imaginary motor pool conversation in my head (I'll just leave this here):

"bolt goes on with FIFTY foot-pounds of torque, PFC Skippy, NOT 200. And NO thread lock, either."

"Okay, Sergeant. I just figgered with a nut that large it HAD to take more torque so I just put a foot on it, braced myself against the frame and stepped on it."

"Didn't you read the instructions?"

"Well, no, it just seemed so obvious how everything needed to go back together I just threw 'em away."

"Next time, just read the instructions. Okay?"

"Alright, Sarge."

Motor pool NCOIC, shaking his head, worries that it's a little late in the day for more coffee and way too early for whiskey. Maybe.

richingalveston

amsoil sells dual filtration kits for most motors. has an adaptor that screws onto existing oil cooler mount. I know you guys are using a mil spec unit but just passing on what amsoil does. They use one regular filter and one 5 micron filter. The 5 micron gets changed every other filter change.

I had this installed on a 2004 duramax. went 15000 miles between oil changes. The truck got destroyed in accident at 230k miles and at that time it did not burn a drop of oil between 15k mile oil changes. I am getting the same set up for my new 6.5 motor in my 1009

per amsoil it does not do any good to run two filters if they are the same size (with respect to filtration). you can go longer between filter changes is all that does.

NormB

amsoil sells dual filtration kits for most motors. has an adaptor that screws onto existing oil cooler mount. I know you guys are using a mil spec unit but just passing on what amsoil does. They use one regular filter and one 5 micron filter. The 5 micron gets changed every other filter change.
per amsoil it does not do any good to run two filters if they are the same size (with respect to filtration). you can go longer between filter changes is all that does.

Sounds like a good idea.

Poked around on the web for a few minutes. How and where does one find a five micron filter to match? Tried at summit racing. Tried AMSOIL (they don't even show Hummers older than 2002) and their EA line of filters only go down to 20 micron.

I COULD do this all day.

Any suggestions?

richingalveston

I got mine from amsoil at the time. have not looked. I have an amsoil guy in college station that works for tamu. I will ask him about it when I see him. He has already checked on the kit for a 6.5 for me and they have them. I will ask about the filters. I normally run into him weekly on campus.

Rich

NormB

I got mine from amsoil at the time. have not looked. I have an amsoil guy in college station that works for tamu. I will ask him about it when I see him. He has already checked on the kit for a 6.5 for me and they have them. I will ask about the filters. I normally run into him weekly on campus.
Rich
Would appreciate it.

Thanks.