• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about folding tailgate strength and ramps

ohsmily

Hi folks. I recently acquired a 1991 BMY M923A2. I plan to use it for many things including possibly transporting my track car to events. The ramps I plan to use have a right-angle lip to "anchor" into the top of platform. The beds on our M923s don't have a recess or threshold for that lip to sit in. However, with the tailgate folded, it creates what dimensionally would be a suitable gap for the lip to sit in....

THE QUESTION IS: Is the tailgate and tailgate hinge system strong enough to support ramps for driving a nearly 4000 lb vehicle into the bed of the truck?

Should I instead remove the tailgate and grind a groove/channel into the bed where the ramp lip would sit? I suppose I could add a ridge inside the truck bed by screwing a square metal bar across where the ramp lip could hook. (if the tailgate back edge would hold the weight, I would prefer to do that)

20210215_091225.jpgdownload.png

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks