• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about M109A3 Shop Van body rivets

brit4x4

I am removing the roof panels on my M109A3 shop van. The rivets appear to be aluminum, they are non magnetic and drill out really easily. The sheet metal is steel; I was under the impression that aluminum would deteriorate more quickly when in contact with steel.

What type of rivets should I use, steel or aluminum ?

I am going to replace the panels with as few as possible, the joins appear to be where most of the rust has taken hold. Then I will coat it with an elastomeric finish like the ones used on RVs.

My son helped me construct a frame and traveler so that I can work on the roof panels without having to be standing on the roof itself, plus we added pockets to take the bows and cover from one of my other deuces, this provides shade.
2015-08-16 19.48.26.jpg2015-08-16 19.48.16.jpg2015-08-16 15.47.44.jpg

Katahdin

Welcome to SS!

On my M109 the rivets had mushroom caps that are aluminium but the rivets themselves were steel. I use steel when replacing the rivets.

tommys2patrick

Now that is one nice cover solution to working outdoors. I suppose those heavy roof corners won't need to come off to get to the bad roof panels. Is your "creeper" on wheels or do you just push it from a ladder or something as you need to move down the roof?

zout

Those rounded cap rivets are Buck Rivets - needs two people to install then. Easy to find the process on the web - sure there would be a youtube about it. Same way semi trailers are built - aircraft. Do not do this if you have a hangover.

brit4x4

Thank you for your replies. There appears to be a range of answers, here and on the web. For example this site http://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/how-long-does-hdg-last/in-contact-with-other-metals has a table at the bottom of the page that implies that aluminum rivets with galvanized steel are ok provided that you don't submerse them in sea water.

When I removed one of the panels there was an unused rivet laying on the insulation. It appears to have a steel mandrel and a closed end aluminum body. The majority of the rivets appeared to be ok, the ones that had failed where located where water had been able to pool and the roof panel had rusted. As I do more research I will post my findings.

To answer the question about the traveler, no wheels it slides quite smoothly. However when it is time to apply the elastomeric coating I am going to consider reducing the friction and adding a rope & pulley system so that I can move it while I am actually on it.