• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about MRAP wheels to super single....

exhogflyer

Ok, I'm fixing to super single my deuce, and I'm most likely going to use the Mrap wheels with adapter plates. Now, with those wheels, I see there are 2 styles, the aluminum and the steel. Seems the aluminum wheels are lighter and quite a bit cheaper BUT they have the CTIS valve on them. Is that something I need to worry about? Plug it off or unhook it? Can't seem to get an answer I'm sure someone on here knows
Thanks guys!

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On mine they had a valve stem in the ctis node. You can see it with a valve stem cap on it in this pic. I like the aluminum wheels.IMG_20190731_092114773_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have those aluminum wheels on my deuce and am quite satisfied with them. The CTIS valve is a non-issue.

exhogflyer

I have those aluminum wheels on my deuce and am quite satisfied with them. The CTIS valve is a non-issue.
So do those CTIS valves have a valve stem in them? And do the adapter plates need a cutout for them? Sorry but I'm just not picturing them

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So do those CTIS valves have a valve stem in them? And do the adapter plates need a cutout for them? Sorry but I'm just not picturing them
Yes they have valve stem but ask the person you are buying them from. They can be from $80-$200 a peice. Adaptor plates had no issue with the ones I purchased. Most are set up for them.

exhogflyer

Yes they have valve stem but ask the person you are buying them from. They can be from $80-$200 a peice. Adaptor plates had no issue with the ones I purchased. Most are set up for them.

Could I remove them and simply put regular valve stems in them?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They should already have a regular valve stem on them (visible in the picture, chrome looking thing with a valve stem removal cap). The adapter plates bolt on to the back side so the CTIS assembly is a non-issue. It is common for the valve stem to get snapped off when the wheels are stacked so you should ensure that they are there or plan to get replacements.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could I remove them and simply put regular valve stems in them?
Not so easy... If you remove the CTIS valve you will have to do some plugging; drilling; tapping; etc - in order to install a valve stem in the wheel, itself.
(been there - done it)

Attachments

winfred

for related infos sake on the subject, my main rims are steel but got a non ctis aluminum spare for the odd 75# less weight, didn't flip my hubs so i got a adapter plate beveled on both sides so it'll work on front or rear.
my findings if anybody goes the same way, the stubby air valve can get into the drum bolts but you can wheel clock on lugs differently so it goes between them, so pay attention, this also means if used long term this way you'll need to remove wheel to check air pressure on non flipped applications (spare here so no problem), the face of the wheel is a little thicker on the aluminum which sets the rim closer to the drums when mounted this way.
other then this it works fine and functioned well running backwards till i got a replacement when i lost a tire due to being t-boned by a camaro while at speed (it didn't survive the encounter :twisted:)
IMG_4688.JPGIMG_4690.JPGIMG_4693.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks