• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about NP-218 and NP-242 transfer case swap

DoctorCheney223

Hi folks,

Quick question... can I pull a NP218 transfer case and install a NP-242 as long as I use a drive shaft that was used in a 242 vehicle? If so, anything else to the swap? In a huge jam and trying to figure this out fast. I don't want the guys to install the transfer case and then find out there's more to it than the drive shaft. BTW, this is for a M998 so everybody knows it's not a H1.

V/R
Ron M Cheney

TedG

Unfortunately Ron, you will need shorter rear half of the front drive shaft and a longer rear drive shaft. This is because the 3 speed tranny is shorter than the 4 speed.

DoctorCheney223

Unfortunately Ron, you will need shorter rear half of the front drive shaft and a longer rear drive shaft. This is because the 3 speed tranny is shorter than the 4 speed.

Ted, do you have the PN's or NSN's on those? I've found a few different variants and I don't want to screw this up. I really appreciate you helping me out.

Also, the HMMWV that I purchased from you several years ago is STILL running strong every day of the week. It's assigned to my lead driver Monday through Friday and the other drivers always try to get assigned to it on the weekends.

V/R
Ron M Cheney

Augi

They did make an NP-242 designed to go behind a 3-speed. They were meant as spare parts for older trucks so they wouldn't have to stock 218's anymore.

I don't have a comprehensive list of the differences, but I think the major one was the front output yolk took a smaller u-joint so it would mate right up to the existing front drive shaft. The rear drive shaft still has to change to the slip yolk.

Augi

onegmjack

My 91 Jeep Cherokee Limited, has a NP 242 in it. I known most Jeeps had NP 231, with AX 4, AX 5 or AX 15. I think the 242 in the Cherokees only came with AW 4 automatic.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two different 242's can be used.
Early has a 3 bolt tail shaft, late has a 4 bolt tail shaft.
Early has a small slip yoke, late has a larger slip yoke rear drive shaft.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks