• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question about pintle rotation

tbone1004

how easy is the lunette ring supposed to turn? I have an M116a1 and am in the process of rebuilding it, but was stuck trying to turn the lunette. I know it's supposed to go, but put a 3 foot pipe wrench through it and it wouldn't budge. Figured I'd ask before I go and try to break the whole thing down in a couple of weeks.

tbone1004

well that would explain why it doesn't swivel... This is my first military vehicle adventure, so learning a whole lot. These trailers are brilliant though

tbone1004

need to finish this project up, then I'm hoping to get an old M37 or something similar as a project truck. I'm turning this into a scuba trailer with a RTT on it. The bed already had a bunch of stuff/rails welded onto it, so was already altered.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scuba trailer? I'd like to see where you're going with this. Sounds interesting. You a commercial diver, sport instructor or is this just for fun?

tbone1004

technical instructor at NC State
Goals are to be able to carry a couple of bank bottles, mount a portable compressor if needed *very rare we have to bring it, but it happens*, then have a slide out drawer the full length of the box for gear, and a slide out kitchen type thing. Rooftop tent on top for sleeping, and have the perfect portable camp site for the caves and at the quarries when I have to teach. I have a lifted Jeep grand cherokee so if it can go, this trailer will follow.

Looks like that now, so bank bottles on the front of each fender. Box similar to a pioneer trailer between the fenders. Leave a little less than a foot from the front of the bed and to the back of the bed. Gives me about a 78" box that will be about 24 inches deep and about 44 inches wide. Plan on doing the frame out of rectangle tube then sheathing it in aluminum to keep it lightweight. Am hoping to keep the military look though, so is going to take some serious time. Trying to do this on some sort of a budget, but luckily I only paid 250 for the trailer. Will have to throw a 3500lb axle in at some point since it will be nice to put 5x5 wheels on there to match the jeep. I'd settle if I could find an A2 axle, but those seem to be difficult to come across

Wolf.Dose

The only trailers I know with rotating lunette is the Bantam T2, the M100 and their derivates. The M416 also has a rotating lunette, the M416 A1 not.
A braked axle is a good idea, however you need the surge brake head for that. And that has not rotating lunette, for the corresponding miiltary truck belonging to that time frame of the M101A2/M116A2 have a rotating pintle.
Wolf

tbone1004

I have an ebrake controller in the jeep, so could get a new axle with E-brakes. I don't have parking brake handles/rods or any sidemarker lights, so I need to start piecing all of that together. Don't need or want surge brakes on there since it won't weigh enough to really need them, and it will add a lot of unnecessary tongue weight. Jeeps big, but not quite designed for that much tongue weight. If I'm going to do an axle swap it will ideally be one with electric brakes. The A2 would be great if I got one on the cheap, but would not be what I would aim for. Having the huge 5 bolts with split rims isn't exactly practical for the amount of highway travel it is going to see

Wolf.Dose

E-brakes, hm, your choise. The US design is not legal over here. And I would not use them.
The unbraked trailer allowance for any modern civil Jeep is, as far as I remember, limited to 1000 lbs by the manufacturer due to the requirements of the FMVSS 135.
The split rim of 6.5 x 16 is not a problem for highway use. The 9.00-16 tires are the limiting factor, for they are good for a maximum speed of 60 mph according to tire and rim handbook.
Wolf

tbone1004

yeah my other issue is that they are old and starting to crack.... Didn't know about the weight allowance, but I've had it loaded up to about 2500lbs and it brakes no problem. Big jeep though not a wrangler

Wolf.Dose

For your understanding it brakes nice, however not according to the requirements of FMVSS 135.
The 9.00-16 8 Ply Rating tires are good for a tire load of some 3000 lbs at 400 kPa tire pressure.
The small cracs in the side wall are not very dangerous. On my trailer the oldest tire is from 1968, including small side wall cracs. And it servers me since almost 10 years. The travalling distance so far was some 14000 miles. tire wear on trailers is very small.
And I know that the Jeep program is not limited to the Wrangler with an official towing allowance of 500 lbs unbraked and 1000 lbs braked (except the Rubicon version, which allows a little more).
If you want to learn someting about to towing allowance of your Jeep, check the pamflets were gross combination weights are mentioned for braked und unbraked trailers. Or just ask the factory, not the dealer.
Wolf

tbone1004

I have a 6500lb allowance for the trailer, 11,000lbs gross total.
A separate brake system for all trailers weighing over 1,500 pounds gross is recommended. (State laws should be checked for trailer brake requirements.)
1000lbs is required in NY, and 1500 in a few states. 3,000lbs in most states in this country though. I wouldn't really object to the surge brakes, but I know I'm not going to be able able to find a M116a2 for M101a1 for less than the cost of a new axle. Also helps that I'd be able to use the same jeep wheels and shed some serious weight by removing the stock axle and drums. We'll see what the total weight ends up being when the box is done. It's not going to be light by any means, but by going off of what you're saying than no one would be able to legally tow these trailers because they're almost 1500lbs when they're empty unless they swap axles since they never came with brakes

Wolf.Dose

Thanks for the reply.
Your recommanded limit odf an unbraked trailer of 1500 lbs clearly show me that your Jeep conforms to FMVSS 135. There the maximum weight of an unbraked trailer is limited to 1500 lbs or roughtly 750 kg. This is identical with ECE R 13H. Both regulations have the same requirements.
In the States they recommand the seperate brake for weights over 1500 lbs, however the recomondation is a must if you like to conform to FMVSS 135. Everything else is on your ovw risk, no matter what the state law allows. The state laws usually do not keep up with the federal requirements, even they have to. This scenery is simmelar ower here and needs a learnig process of the local politicians.
Your trailer allowance of 6500 lbs or about 2950 kg matches the allowed trailer weight braked of a Grand Cherokee, Patriot or simmelar over here.

You can pull these trailers over 1500 lbs unbraked, if you own a truck that is heavy enought and old enought with the propper braking performance. The M715 is heavy enough for a M101 series trailer unbraked and has the propper brake performance even loaded with a loaded M101, as long as you stay in the limitations of the trailer and do not exceed the load limit of the truck.
The M101 is the correct and legal trailer limit for the M715.
Wolf