• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question about PTO shift shaft boots

darksheep85

I've got my transmission out to do a clutch job and re-gasketing the Trans and PTO. Here's the question: the PTO shift shaft has threaded ends and the linkage screws into one end and the other end just has a bolt and washer. With new boots going on, is the shaft supposed to protrude out both boots or is there a way to attach the ends of the boots to the ends of the shaft so it's 100% sealed? What am I missing? It's all apart right now because I'm waiting on a new PTO shift fork. Do the boots even stretch enough to accommodate full extension when shifting? That is, if they are somehow attached to the ends of the shaft.

rustystud

I've got my transmission out to do a clutch job and re-gasketing the Trans and PTO. Here's the question: the PTO shift shaft has threaded ends and the linkage screws into one end and the other end just has a bolt and washer. With new boots going on, is the shaft supposed to protrude out both boots or is there a way to attach the ends of the boots to the ends of the shaft so it's 100% sealed? What am I missing? It's all apart right now because I'm waiting on a new PTO shift fork. Do the boots even stretch enough to accommodate full extension when shifting? That is, if they are somehow attached to the ends of the shaft.
Your talking about the PTO shift shaft correct ? The rubber bootie should totally seal the shaft. There should be a washer and nut that holds the end of the boot against the end of the shift shaft and the linkage.