• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about rim nuts (not lug nuts) on 24 bolt even-spaced rims

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought some rims from Trailworthy Fab, they sent them with new nuts that looked just like these, I could feel the nuts start to yield before they reached the specified torque.
Re-using the original nuts will be fine as long as they are not damaged, if you want to be anal about it then you should also replace all the studs.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could I replace the distorted thread nuts with these kind of nuts?
Mainly because here in Italy, other than being almost impossible to find, 1/2-20 distorted thread flange nuts are like 3-4$ each, while these kinds (same thread of course, just not distorted) go for 50cents

View attachment 900294
DO NOY USE SERRATED NUTS….

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if there is a reason specific to this application, but in general they do damage to the mating surfaces, and that increases the formation of corrosion.

Cons Of Using A Serrated Flange Nut
This type of locking fastener uses displacement or distortion to provide a tight fit. When used with a painted or coated mating surface, that distortion can increase the risk of corrosion. If moisture could be an issue in your application, consider using another type of locking nut that will not expose the mating surface to corrosion.