• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question About Starter/Shims Installation

jplace1011

I am wondering, when installing a Starter into my 1985 CUCV M1009, are Shims required?

Not long ago the Old Starter was sparking when I started the engine. I discovered the whole starter was lose. The Cover was also lose and a Bolt was bent. We installed a New Starter, my buddy just had to drill a New Hole into the Starter Bracket. After that it started really well.

Last week a Mobile Mechanic (different mechanic than the one who installed the new Starter) took out the Starter to make room for Replacing the Motor Mounts. He made a comment about the Bracket Didn’t fit properly. It’s possible he’s right or just full of it.

Now I have noticed it sounds different when I start the engine. Maybe a little grinding going on at/near the Starter area.

I’m wondering if he just installed it wrong or does my Starter need Shins as stated on this Page (below) I found online?

I’m replacing the Oil Pan soon, so I figure the Starter can get reinstalled properly while we’re at it.

Thank you in advance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cucvrus

The original starters on the CUCV were a direct drive Delco Remy with a closed nose. I heard it called a Mudder nose starter in the past. It was a very strong nose, and I can assume it was designed to keep mud out. Not sure how that would work. I had a few of the Mudder nose starter packed full of mud and fail also. As far as shimming I have seen many threads online about the proper way to check if the shim is needed or not. I was told if you hear the starter is biding it needs a shim. I was also told that the starter can stay engaged after you release the key and that may indicate a shim is needed. Opinions and methods vary. I use a starter rebuilder in my area, I trust and rely on his knowledge to provide me with reliable rebuilt electrical components. Just replacing a few parts in a starter and alternator is not a rebuild. These trucks are getting old and old wears things out. Low amperage and long crank times take a huge toll on the internal components of a starter and alternator. Have your components checked and rebuilt if needed by a competent rebuilder. Good Luck and Happy Holidays. Don't be that guy that saved a few dollars and is sitting along the road 20 miles from home. Do it right the first time with no second guessing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks