• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about the HZ on a MEP-803a

AlexV

I think I may have comedown with the MEP-803a bug. My question is I've seen some You-tube videos where the operator is adjusting the HZ after startup and when a load is applied. If you set the generator at 60 hz 240 volt when one of my two 3.5 ton central A/C kick in would I have to adjust the HZ back to 60 or will the governor bring it back after the surge? Thanks Alex

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No load I usually adjust manually to 62hz with a load it will usually go down a tad to 60hz. It's a manual adjustment. Nothing electronic in the generator to hold frequency. With a larger load you may have to make slight adjustments.

Dewie38

Its a droop type governing system which means when load is applied the Freq. droops down.
They are a 3% system which means 61.8 Hz at no load will give you 60Hz full load.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

Plus, a lot depends on how you are running it. If I have mine and everything is running the way I want, and it is loaded at say 70% and only fluctuates when the well kicks, then at the 70%, I will trim it to a nice 60Hz.

Start-up and no-load, yep, 62Hz for me. Dewie is more exact because he has all the real meters. :) If you calibrated the gauge to government specs, its close enough.

All MEP-8xx generators would rather stay above 70% operating. Loafing, idling, light loading a diesel is not good for long term.

AlexV

I'm thinking about renting a u-haul trailer to pick it up if I buy it. Can it be unloaded with a palette jack down a slight ramp? I know its around 1,300 pounds. His ad on E-bay says he'll load it so that won't be a problem. right now I have a Honda EU7000 the runs at 52 to 60 db depending on the load as a home backup. I power the house via a GE 50 amp generator inlet box mounted on the side of the house that feeds a Factory Eaton cutler Hammer interlock. The sound has me a little worried. The MEP 803a running at 70 db, is it really that much louder? My home sits on a 80 ft lot with neighbors on both sides. I like the quiet Honda generator but no way can it run the two central A/C's. My house is on city water so no well pump, and city gas for heat stove and hot water. I have a little background with care and maintenance of generators. My dad owned a traveling Carnival. Growing up we had several large generators in semi trailers to power the rides and other equipment. I own a Dairy Queen that has a Kohler 60 KW natural gas backup generator that runs very quiet. 58 to 61 db.

Last edited:

Triple Jim

I wouldn't want to be on the downhill side of a ramp with a 1,300 lb generator on a pallet jack above me. Maybe use a rope wrapped around something a couple turns to ease it down, capstain style.

AlexV

I wouldn't want to be on the downhill side of a ramp with a 1,300 lb generator on a pallet jack above me. Maybe use a rope wrapped around something a couple turns to ease it down, capstain style.
I was thinking about using the Ratchet tie down straps also to help easy it down the ramp. I'm just not sure about moving around 1300 pounds with a pallet jack.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

You prob wouldnt even need the pallet jack until you got it down. Two men can slide a 802 on a wood deck trailer. The aluminum skid on the 802/3 and aluminum ramp..might just self unload. If not roll it down on a floor jack only on one end.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I urge caution and recommend considering a different method.

i bought a gantry second hand for cheap. An engine hoist also works.

csheath

I winched mine out of my pickup onto a wood deck trailer on some aluminum ramps. I had to put tension on the cable and pry up on the skid in increments to get it to slide down the ramps. It didn't slide easy at all. You should take great care with that much weight on wheels.

I have my unit right behind my attached garage. My walls are only R12 insulated and I can barely hear the unit when it's running. With the TV at moderate volume you can't hear it at all. You and the neighbors should have no trouble living with the sound level during an outage.