• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about what oil to run in my deuce?

SpyDad

I am getting ready to change the oil for the first time in my deuce I picked up in May. The 'TM' calls out to run 30wt in the engine, but I have read other posts saying some owners run 10-40wt or 15-40wt. I am looking for inputs on the pros and cons of running the 30wt or something else. :???:

Thanks.

T

televisionman007

id stay with the 30 weight unless u live in some real hot or cold place. i run the 30 weight castrol i love it8)

66Reo6X6

My truck has a tag on the oil dip stick with 15-40 stamped on it. Here in North Dakota that is what I plan to use.
Maybe year round depending on how cold it gets this winter and if I have room in the garage to park it for the cooler months.:)

deuceman51

I am a full time military mechanic and you want to use 15w-40. That is what we use in all our vehicles unless your going sub artic or something like that. 15w-40 works in South Dakota and everywhere else. I know there are many good synthetics out there, but be warned that oil with detergents can actually break up deposits that are clogging leaks and new leaks might appear out your seals, ect.

ida34

Oil requirements in the forum tips and tricks section? Are changing oil in the search engine? Just bustin your chops. I know you are new here. Welcome and just make sure you are posting to the right forum so you can be sure to get the answer you need.

BTW 15W40 is what the military uses now so to mirror what has already been said, use 15W40.

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

June 27th, 2010.

Spydad:

The inside of my hood is marked in yellow "15W-40" , just below the "Use hood prop and secure hood in raised position" , so I do believe Uncle was being pretty specific on that, and I would recomment Rotella 15W-40 in any case.... Just my .02 worth, but it seems to work well in heat and cold climates...

63sierra10

Rottela 15-40 hands down. I reccomend the filters from Baldwin.

I use it in all my semi trucks and use it in my deuce. My oil samples from my semi truck always come back with great results. I will never use any other oil in my Kenworth, or my deuce. I forgot to add that the semi trucks go upwards of a million miles before we think of doing any work to them.

Last edited:

SpyDad

Ida43.... sorry about posting in the wrong place, this was my first post, thanks for being understanding. Next time it will be in the tips and tricks section.

bassetdeuce

If you buy oil in 5 gal pails, anything 15w40. For gallons, I like Delo because the bottle is so much neater and easier to pour (huge handle, and spout designed to limit the glug, glug, glug, dammit I spilt oil everywhere). The foil seal for the bottle even has a pull tab. No thanks on the Rotella.