• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question: Add Rear AC to M998 that already has front AC?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another Q for the collective.

I have seen HMMWV that have rear AC installed. I did some quick searches and did not find any kits that have rear AC. My current AC is the one that mounts under the radio shelf.

I supposed there might be some generic parts for civi trucks but they would be 12 based. I guess that would be ok as I have 12V readily available. What would it take to add it to the existing AC system?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't want to spend 10's of thousands. But if it were something I could do for under a thousand in parts I might. I do have limited AC experience, with all the guages and vacuum pumps etc from fixing systems on hotrods.

thoner7

I have been told the OEM system is super expensive.

vintage air sells AC kits that can be retro fitted. I priced it once at 2000-2500 for a whole truck setup.

if you already have AC maybe insulating the truck would be the way to go.

Reactions: OBX

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add AC to the rear you would need a separate evaporator and you can't just split that off the front AC system. The front evaporator is sized/configured for the condenser and AC compressor. You would need an additional condenser and way to run a compressor.

I'm finishing a project on a 70's porsche with a kit that runs an electric compressor. Electric compressors are used to run AC in EV's and even before then in heavy equipment trucks/vehicles. I'm going to be trying this as I'd like to get rid of the compressor running off the engine.

The question is whether the electric compressor is up to the task.

So to answer your question.......yes......you can add a rear AC system. I like the one that runs the condenser/fans in the rear wheel well. You can place the electric compressor in the rear bed or even the front wheel well mounted to something like the 'battery relocation tray' and run cables to the batteries. You would therefore run the motor driven compressor for the front AC and the electric compressor for the rear AC.

Here is link to an example.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people like it in the front.

Some like it in the rear.

Some like it in both the front and the rear.

Some don’t like it at all.

Now-a-days some people like to reconfigure front to rear and rear to front, while others just cut the whole thing out.

🙄🙄🙄😉😉

M1165’s seem to have both. RWH would know better. Perhaps consider swapping to an M1165 or M1167 or try to get all those parts through purchasing a non-running vehicle. Then sell the parts in the non-runner.

Aftermarket a/c units are $$$

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some people like it in the front.

Some like it in the rear.

Some like it in both the front and the rear.

Some don’t like it at all.

Now-a-days some people like to reconfigure front to rear and rear to front, while others just cut the whole thing out.

🙄🙄🙄😉😉

M1165’s seem to have both. RWH would know better. Perhaps consider swapping to an M1165 or M1167 or try to get all those parts through purchasing a non-running vehicle. Then sell the parts in the non-runner.

Aftermarket a/c units are $$$
I like it in the front.

My wife likes it in the rear.

Go figure.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at your profile, looks like you have an A1 truck. If you have the 60 amp generator you're pretty much out of luck trying to use any 24V electric units, because they will not have enough cooling to make it worthwhile (ones I was looking at were rated for 10k btu at 60+ amps draw)

Not sure what your current aircon setup is as I'm not familiar with any that mount under the radio tray, but the least expensive option would likely be to get a better compressor, and then a fender mount condenser and aftermarket evaporator inside the truck, and have the compressor run both systems.

You could always upgrade the electrical to 200 amp (or 400) and get an electric roof mount unit, but that's going to screw with appearances.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
To add AC to the rear you would need a separate evaporator and you can't just split that off the front AC system. The front evaporator is sized/configured for the condenser and AC compressor. You would need an additional condenser and way to run a compressor.

I'm finishing a project on a 70's porsche with a kit that runs an electric compressor. Electric compressors are used to run AC in EV's and even before then in heavy equipment trucks/vehicles. I'm going to be trying this as I'd like to get rid of the compressor running off the engine.

The question is whether the electric compressor is up to the task.

So to answer your question.......yes......you can add a rear AC system. I like the one that runs the condenser/fans in the rear wheel well. You can place the electric compressor in the rear bed or even the front wheel well mounted to something like the 'battery relocation tray' and run cables to the batteries. You would therefore run the motor driven compressor for the front AC and the electric compressor for the rear AC.

Here is link to an example.

Negative. You do not need 2 compressor for a dual ac system.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Negative. You do not need 2 compressor for a dual ac system.
Can you explain?

Is the compressor powerful enough to run two evaporators/condensors?

My understanding is it has to do with the power of the compressor and what it is spec'd to be able to do. Otherwise it won't be enough to blow cold enough and also runs risk of not pushing oil enough without risking breakdown.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you explain?

Is the compressor powerful enough to run two evaporators/condensors?

My understanding is it has to do with the power of the compressor and what it is spec'd to be able to do. Otherwise it won't be enough to blow cold enough and also runs risk of not pushing oil enough without risking breakdown.
It depends on what compressor you already have, and how much cooling you would like to do.
the compressor that comes in the ECV/REV trucks is sized large enough that it can handle the dual condenser/evaporator system. The Red Dot compressor is also pretty big with how much cooling it can do.

Without knowing the compressor or system that someone already has installed, it's impossible to say whether an existing compressor is large enough to handle additional equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks