• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for Montana Members

cobra5

So I'm finally going to get around to titling and registering my truck. The last time I inquired at the DMV I was told that because its over a ton I would have to register it as a commercial vehicle. Today I seen one with standard Montana plates. Any of you guys run into the commercial plate issue in Montana?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cobra5 that sounds like an office DMV worker looking for an easy way to get rid of you! Let me think with reasoning like this My girlfriends car needs to licensed and titled COMMERCIAL, it is over 1 ton! I would guess your dealing with a local DMV office? if that is the case then call the state office and just run through with them on what your looking to do and exactly what your going to need to bring to the LOCAL DMV to get done what your looking to do. When you get to the local DMV office TELL THEM that you have spoken to the state office and they told you that this is exactly what you need to get the job done. I once had my LOCAL DMV office tell me that not only could they not license or title the truck I just purchased but that the guy who sold me the truck was illegal in even selling me the truck! I then called the state office and got the job done!
Good luck Cobra5
KK

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the OP of the TEXAS FMV LAWS thread here on the SS Forums, please allow me to give you some direction....

First, review the Texas FMV Laws thread - you'll find the link in my signature block below.

Then, follow this link and read up on the applicable MONTANA LAWS.
Title 61. MOTOR VEHICLES
http://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca_toc/61.htm

After that, if you feel so motivated, leave some bread crumbs for the other MONTANA FMV owners in your state to follow so that they can follow in your footsteps and not have to reinvent the wheel.

Have fun reading up on the LAWS. Once you do, you will be well armed to deal with the bureaucrats.

Please keep us posted on your findings and progress.

Carry on.

Tyl012

It's not too bad once you have the right forms (MV10, a surety bond, a vin inspection form MV20, and a bill of sale). Have a Sheriff perform a vin inspection (MV20). Have your insurance agent get a surety bond in the amount of what you value your truck at. Take it all down to be processed at your MVD office. Plates will be issued then and a title will be mailed to you. Hope this makes sense. It was a bit of a hassle but regular plates can be purchased.

cobra5

It's not too bad once you have the right forms (MV10, a surety bond, a vin inspection form MV20, and a bill of sale). Have a Sheriff perform a vin inspection (MV20). Have your insurance agent get a surety bond in the amount of what you value your truck at. Take it all down to be processed at your MVD office. Plates will be issued then and a title will be mailed to you. Hope this makes sense. It was a bit of a hassle but regular plates can be purchased.
Yea I don't need the surety bond or vin inspection because I have the SF97 from the government. However if you look at the DMV website it does state that anything over a ton requires commercial plates. You would think that if it was not used as a commercial vehicle that it would get regular plates but it doesn't stipulate it. It would be nice to get regular plates so I can get permanent plates and never have to worry about it again.

daytonatrbo

Cobra5 that sounds like an office DMV worker looking for an easy way to get rid of you! Let me think with reasoning like this My girlfriends car needs to licensed and titled COMMERCIAL, it is over 1 ton! I would guess your dealing with a local DMV office? if that is the case then call the state office and just run through with them on what your looking to do and exactly what your going to need to bring to the LOCAL DMV to get done what your looking to do. When you get to the local DMV office TELL THEM that you have spoken to the state office and they told you that this is exactly what you need to get the job done. I once had my LOCAL DMV office tell me that not only could they not license or title the truck I just purchased but that the guy who sold me the truck was illegal in even selling me the truck! I then called the state office and got the job done!
Good luck Cobra5
KK
They mean the capacity is over a ton, not the gross weight.

A "light duty" truck ends at a "1 ton" rating (actual hauling capacity will vary, but its commonly a "3500" truck.)

Deuces fall into "medium duty" which in many states requires commercial plates.

I had to get weighted commercial plates and a commercial insurance policy on mine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks