• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question for PA deuce owners

mikes47jeep

hi

i have a question for PA deuce owners

where do you guys get your deuces inspected??

no i dont want the anwser
"my deuce is redisterd as antique, i dont need an inspection" :roll:

also what weight class tag to you have in your windsheild?

thanks

mike

tractorpuller1

McElheney Service in Sellersville Pa. 215 257 2511:-D

Stickered #8 weight class.

Had to modify lights, and install Pa crash bar on back.

Registered 23500 lbs. gvw.

Drive all year with no problems. Several State police friends have driven it around town!
Have crash bar on utube.

tractorpuller1

Hi.

My shop will inspect anything, but it is not what I would call a semi shop.
They mostly work on cars. They do work on bucks county busses as well.

The crash bar is needed in pa. so the little cars dont slide under the back end of the duece and decapitate themselves.

Mine is on youtube "under best hitch ever built". Sorry about the title, I was very proud of it then. It doubles as a trailer hitch too.

The lights had to be redone. But I kept everything wired the same switches. You need a separate illuminated backup switch too.

With these changes I can haul anything in it. and use it for my business. Nice write off huh?

I am still trying to trailer a 7000lb tractor behind it. I have not been able to get the math right. the trailer to do it will be too heavy and puts me over the 10000 lb limit.

gunboy1656

Mines not inspected yet, need tires. But the shop down the road services everything, from cars to semis.

My weight class is 6.

I have never heard of needing a crash bar before.

tractorpuller1

Trust me, i wish I didn't need it either. Took me two weeks to make that thing! (I did disk one of my dad's fields with it though, that was fun!)

I have a commercial truck plate, not an antique plate.

I was told by the tag guy who registered it I would not be able to haul firewood in it and even had to show pictures to PADOT that I had removed the pintle hitch so I can not tow! The only thing I could tow was a deuce trailer and that only to and from shows!
Maybe I am misinformed, but it did make sense to me and I have had no problems on the road. Believe me, every body looks at this truck!

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I take mine to the local truck repair/ towing garage. Eagle Towing in Milesburg.
Needs inspected twice per year and no weight sticker is issued with Classic tags.

Unlike tractorpuller1, I do not use mine for business. I use mine for personal fun.
But he does have a good idea doing it that way. Has a Deuce and can write off the expenses!

I was in Quakertown a few weeks ago, the town sure does have narrow streets.

gunboy1656

Must be something with the commercial plate then, cause everyone i know who has a truck does not have it on theirs.

Like I said I was never told I needed one, even when I went to the inspection station. They never said anything about needing one, Just told me they cant pass it without me getting new tires. (Mine are dry rotten and cracked)

FWIW, I am running a standard plate.

tractorpuller1

My inspection guy showed me the Pa regs on it for a commercial truck.

Yes, you are right, I could have had classic tag but I couldn't deal with the limitations.

I can make you a hitch/crashbar if you want.

Stop in next time you fellas are in Quakertown!

Angus1

In the commercial world its called an ICC Bumper ( Interstate Commerce Comition)
as long as it under 26001 lbs and not full air brakes it can be ins. by anybody with a class c license. My truck is antique, but still haul coal for the house. the biggest thing is the state does not want you running a business out of the truck, they want there money for that. I'm through Quakertown alot, I'll keep my eyes open for you.

WPNS421

Nice hitch, would probably stop any tailgater. We have basically the same thing except we bought a commercially made hitch at a local trailer shop. very rugged and strong , yours is definitly stronger. Nice job. I have found that the rules for MVs vary depending on who you speak with, and their interpretation of the rules. One guy sees it as a commercial vehicle and the next guy doesn't. I have on M35 registered as a pick up, the Motor vehicle Office did this after we gave them all the information on the truck, we have been stopped by Road Control Officers and inspected and we give /show them a copy of the original paperwork, they shake their heads and walk away. Whatever you do always keep a copy of the paperwork in your truck it might save you some headaches.
All that has been said on this thread happens everywhere, even here in Canada.

mikes47jeep

Just to remind you this is all hypothetical because I am in no position to buy a deuce right now.

Come spring time maybe, but right now no

I would love to put antique tags on it.

However, my biggest problem is I can already see what the guys in my WWII re-enactor group will say

"Well mike you have a deuce, can we use it to move our stuff to (insert event here)"

And what’s the point of having the truck if you can’t haul anything with it??

Our longest trip is from Philly to Pittsburgh,

We also have a tendency to get stuck running after dark too

Isn’t there a "no driving after dark" thing with the antique plates???

Mike

Sephirothq

You would need a tag light but you could drive it at night. If you are looking to use your truck only for events. (which is the purpose of the antique tag) Wy would you need to get a different tag? The problem becomes when you use it to make money ie commercial purposes.

tractorpuller1

I was told hauling stuff to and from a show is ok with antique plates.

Driving in the dark is ok with antique plates.

I like having the extra lights on for better visibility at night.

The crash bar (ICC bar) is safer for everyone on the road and I have not bent my rear fenders back crawling around in the woods since I intalled it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks