• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for the Deuce Bobbers

conductorx

I have been following several threads about the Bobbers. I understand that the rear-rear axle is moved forward to replace the front-rear axle. I have also been reading the thread about frame modifications for the bobbed duece with a M105 trailer axle under it.

Once a duece is bobbed, I assume the excess frame is cut off. How long is the typical cut off piece?

Since I am doing a camper project I am looking to lengthen the frame of a deuce. I think reusing a cutoff would be a step in the right direction.

If the cutoff isn't long enough I guess I could buy a deuce frame from a wrecking yard.

Opinons? Other Ideas?

Thanks,
Gary

UpstateNYer

Both rear axles are the same, so either one works. As for how much, I think 36" is typical for someone cutting down a stock bed. If you want a longer truck, start with a M36. I know a guy that has at least half a dozen for sale in PA, I believe they are 4' or 5' longer.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The frame is typically cut off to the owners needs/wants as to which type bed they intend to put on it. If using a M105 bed the driveshaft has to be lenghtened.
I used a 8x8 factory built flatbed on my bobber and used the stock driveshaft.
If you extend your frame too much you will have an issue with too little weight on the front end if you overload the back.
As stated above it would be easier to find an M36 that to lenghten a frame. The 36 also has a longer wheelbase (distance between front axle and intermediate axle) to better distribute load.
I am in the process of stripping a tanker and will have the whole frame left.
I also have another long piece of frame that I saved from a previous parts truck.
If you can work out the logistics I will sell you what you need at a fair price.

conductorx

An M36 would better suit my needs. Just scanning around I don't see very many available.

I certainly don't plan to excede the weight limits of the truck (10,000 lbs). Do you have a link or info about the place in PA? If it isn't ok to post here send me a PM if you don't mind.

Thanks again,
Gary

UpstateNYer

An M36 would better suit my needs. Just scanning around I don't see very many available.

I certainly don't plan to excede the weight limits of the truck (10,000 lbs). Do you have a link or info about the place in PA? If it isn't ok to post here send me a PM if you don't mind.

Thanks again,
Gary
Kublos Surplus, Ken Kublo Jr. 570-663-2805 I know he has at least half a dozen, some hartops with heat some w/o. I have some pics I will try to find.

Chris

UpstateNYer

Did the M36 come with a winch?

Gary
I can't seem to find the pics, however I am going there in a couple of weeks and will look at the trucks. Or check out his Youtube video. M36's start at 1 min 44 seconds, 11 of them WO/W

YouTube - kublossurplus's Channel

If the truck does not have a winch, I am sure he will put one on for you or you will be able to find one.

Last edited:

conductorx

If the truck does not have a winch, I am sure he will put one on for you or you will be able to find one.
Adding a winch is that easy? All trucks have the PTO avaibable? I was thinking the non-winch trucks didn't have the PTO on the tranny to run a winch.

Thanks for the information. It will be March or April before I am ready to buy a truck.

conductorx

Again I appreciate everyones input. According to the Specifications the overall length of the M36 is 26'. wo/w. An M35 is 22 wo/w. I am hoping to add 8 to 10' feet to the length of the truck and shifting the axles back accordingly.

UpstateNYer

Again I appreciate everyones input. According to the Specifications the overall length of the M36 is 26'. wo/w. An M35 is 22 wo/w. I am hoping to add 8 to 10' feet to the length of the truck and shifting the axles back accordingly.
HotRodDeuce added 4' to his truck I believe, 8' - 10' is going to make for one mighty long driveshaft. How about starting with a school bus and swaping out the cab, axles, and transfercase? It would be like doing a cummins swap only backwards.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if your going to add 8 to 10' to a m35 or a m36, that's going to be a long long wheel base and frame, instead of a deuce, i would start with a long wheel base 5t, you will be starting with heaver frame rails, along with everything else. the 814w/w is 33' ( -16"wo/w) in length, wheel base is 215" (18') on top of everything, else more power to pull this man cave on wheels

just remember the LONGER the frame is, the MORE frame twist

Last edited:

surfdog

There's a M36A2 on ebay in GA right now.... might be a little closer than PA.

It's been listed for a few months so might be able to get it for a deal.

The last M36a2 I saw sell in NY a few months ago went somewhere in the mid-4K range (after GL's 10% and NY sales tax).

conductorx

A machinist friend of mine is salvaging some fire trucks and busses right now. He has offered to assist with the conversiona and extension project.

Gary