• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question for the experts

dblcamaros

Can some one please help me out? My 1986 M1009 won't start. I went out yesterday to take a drive and the truck won't start. I have good batteries (all lights work), but for some reason it seems like no power is getting to the starter, or the starter is stuck. It doesn't make any clicking noises or nothing. When you hit the key you can almost hear a very faint sort of a little whine (best way I can describe it), I mean really really faint, and only for like a second. That's it. I checked the hot wire and everything appears as it should be. Can anyone give me some ideas on trouble shooting it? I was planning on taking it Gilbert this weekend (I need to pick up some parts from people and need the truck). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

m38inmaine

If the batteries are confirmed good it could be a starter relay. Pull the connector off the relay and jump the two heavy gage wires, I think they are red and purple, if it spins you found the problem.

Barrman

The -20 manual says to "see your supervisor" if the engine will not crank. I guess that is us. However, the very first item listed in the -20 about anything electrical is to make sure the batteries are good and have been load tested.

Your question is going to get answered with more questions. Are you sure the batteries are good? Have you load tested them? Running the lights and having the required amps to start an engine are two different things. Turn the headlights on and try starting the engine. If the lights stay on, power isn't getting to the starter. If the lights dim while trying to start but go right back to full strength when you let go of the key, the starter isn't working correctly. If the lights dim and stay dim then you have bad batteries.

There is a starter relay under the dash. Once you have verified the batteries are good and have had them load tested with the engine not cranking. That is the next thing in line. It is on the lip above your right foot. It looks just like a heater blower motor relay because that is actually what it is. If the batteries are good, that is probably the noise you hear. You can use the -20P manual to find the GM part number for a replacement relay. However, a search on here for the Doghead Relay swap in my opinion is a much better option. You should do the Doghead swap no matter what you find fixing todays issue in my opinion.

While you have the relay out, you can hot wire the starter with ease to verify that is the problem and not something else down the line like the solenoid, starter or wiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks