• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question from a new guy to the hobby

I am the proud owner of a mule and have greatly enjoyed reading all of the threads here while learning a lot from you guys. My question is are there any other groups that also talk about mules? I am aware of G503, and participate over there as well, but am I missing any that you can recommend? Thanks, John

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This site and G503 are the biggest ones I'm aware of. Congrats on the mule. I have 2 currently and will be thinning the herd soon. None the less, let me know if I can help with your project.

Thanks for the response, I have to admit that my mule is not my first green vehicle as my first 'car' was/is a M-38A1. My wife of 37 years has never seen it run and jokes that I would probably get rid of her before my Jeep.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
SS and the G are probably the best Mule forums. I think there's more mule traffic on the G but more owners here.

I think Austringer and ChuckW (I think he's Charlie here on SS) are the preeminent Mule experts. There are definitely enough people here on SS who are knowledgeable to keep you rolling.

Here's mine in the Atlanta icestorm this week.

20140212_115529.jpgMule.2.jpgMule.1.jpgMule.7.jpg

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great photos, I really like you screen partition between the seat and the bed. Can you post some more photos of how you attached it? Thanks, John
I can not take any credit for it or really any of the mule-I bought it restored from SS member Maccus. I wired up the headlight, added a taillight (for safety at the SS Ga. Rally in the dark), did pinion seals, clutch, brakes, etc.

The headache racks serves two purposes: Primarily, it is to create a base to mount the passenger seat on, so the Mule did not have to be permanently modified. Both Maccus and I like our stuff to be easily returnable to stock. The headache rack has the mount for the passenger seat as part of it. The headache rack secondarily provides a mount for the fire extinguisher, protection for the passengers from cargo and a spare tire (which I added). I also added the ammo can, as a small toolbox. I keep extra sparkplugs and the tools to change them, gloves, light bulbs, etc.

The headache rack has "tabs" welded to it that mount to the vertical supports for the bed rails. So once you remove the 4 screws, you can remove the rack, taking the spare tire, toolbox, extinguisher and passenger seat all at once.

mule2seater18.jpgmule2seater20.jpg2013-10-12_13-40-02_549.jpg20130915_174421.jpg20130915_174434.jpg

Thanks for all the great photos, Your headache rack have given me ideas on building something similar. What gauge is the squarewall tubing? Is it 1" squarewall, or something different? What is the thickness of the extruded steel wire mesh? I really like the fact that your modifications are not permanent and can be returned to stock. I am using non stock seats that can move back and forth and have seatbelts so my wife and grandkids can ride in it.

Where did you get the rubber mat for the bed of your mule and the longer gearshift lever? Sorry for so many questions, but I like your mods. Thanks, John

PS, any trouble steering in that snow? Bet you don't get that everyday.....:beer:

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for all the great photos,
No problem. I like this stuff.

Your headache rack have given me ideas on building something similar. What gauge is the squarewall tubing? Is it 1" squarewall, or something different?
Pretty sure it's 1" but I'd have to go measure it to be sure.

What is the thickness of the extruded steel wire mesh?
Don't know, I'd have to go measure it.

I really like the fact that your modifications are not permanent and can be returned to stock. I am using non stock seats that can move back and forth and have seatbelts so my wife and grandkids can ride in it.
I do not like modifying my stuff in a way that can't be undone. I hate having to undo poorly done modifications.

Where did you get the rubber mat for the bed of your mule
It is a generic pickup truck rubber mat that Maccus cut down to fit the contours of the Mule bed exactly. I believe he used a sawzall to cut it.

and the longer gearshift lever?
It is from Mechanical Mules of America: http://www.mechanicalmulesofamerica.com/MuleParts.html

Sorry for so many questions, but I like your mods. Thanks, John
No problem.
PS, any trouble steering in that snow? Bet you don't get that everyday.....:beer:
Hmmm......... very easy to turn the wheel, but the mule is a lot like a DUKW in the water.............. you turn the wheel and a few seconds later, it starts to turn.

It does drift pretty well, in 3rd gear high range. Takes a while but it's fun.

Looks like you don't travel light, you bring all your toys with you.:beer:

Our railroad museum in So. Calif. hosts an antique truck show every spring, and we have a bunch of green trucks as well as fire trucks show up as well. We let them hook up to one of our hydrants and show what they can do. I teased one of them that this is their first venue where our toys,(trains) are bigger than their toys, (trucks). Got my first mule ride there last year, lots of fun.

Last edited:
One last question while you are measuring, it the steel 14 or 11 gauge? Each summer I am a volunteer on the Cumbres and Toltec narrow gauge Railroad and plan to use my mule to transport telegraph poles and hardware on our telegraph line, so having something removeable on the right side is important.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks