• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question on fuel can bracket M1009

jvrotter

I want to install a water can holder in the back of my M1009 on the corner bracket in the cargo area. Does anybody know what size bolt that the four threaded holes take?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldn't find any common sized screw, sae or metric, that would thread in easily on mine. So the nuts are either a bastard size or the nuts are a locking type. The hole is about 5/16" or 8mm. I ended up using M6 x 1.00 screws and put nuts on the bottom side.

davidkroberts

i cant find my box i used for the bolts but they are the flat topped bolts with the rounded head and square base used for recessing in a wood board. I used a 2" long bolt and just cut off the excess after i threaded the nut tight underneath. Worked great. The bolt fell through the hole I didnt try and match the threads.

edpdx

Mine were 7mm. I had a **** of a time finding any with round tops, so I used the hex heads- all I could find actually. The 7mm seem to be popular in the airplane repair business; but I put a lot of time into finding any with round tops, to prevent digging onto the bottom of the gas can.

In the end I used a rubber pad to line the bottom of the gas can carrier- hollowing out a little where the bolt heads go. 7mm- no nuts, no re-tapping.

Ace or HD or any decent hardware supply that carries hardware indexed in drawers.

note: 7mmx10 thread IIRC.

Last edited:

edpdx

wsucougarx, did you mount all 5 can carriers atop the mounting bracket that is bolted to the floor on the driver,s side rear in a M1009- I think these are the bolts the OP is interested in.

jvrotter

OK, I double checked the threads and a 3/8-18 is the correct bolt. The first one that I had tried was messed up and I had to chase the threads but the others are fine.

JDToumanian

OK, I double checked the threads and a 3/8-18 is the correct bolt.
I assume you meant 3/8-16, that would be a standard coarse thread... 3/8-18 is a taper tap for 3/8" pipe threads.

All the different sizes people are finding makes me suspect that the original threads have been drilled out and re-tapped on many trucks.

Armada

Does anyone have a good detailed pic showing how the hold-down strap mounts?
Depends. Not all can mounts are created equal. The strap can either be anchored to the mount itself (see picture), or loop underneath and around it, with the bolted down mount holding the strap in place.

Attachments