• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on Gov planet process - What's a realistic timeframe for first time EUC's right now?, etc.

blutow

I just won an auction yesterday and filled out EUC form and paid.

Their site says 6-10 weeks for approval, but I think I've seen others say that's optimistic. Any idea how long EUC's are currently taking for a first time submission right now? I think I've seen some people say up to 6 months, but I'm hoping it's more like 3.

Also, it sounds like I take the truck as soon as EUC clears, but it's another month or 2 before I have the SF97 and another month or so after that before I have the Montana title.

Is that all correct? I assume it's probably illegal to drive the truck on the road before I have the docs to register it, so that will be a tough temptation. Can it be insured prior to being registered (just in case it escapes the driveway)?

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was told (not sure how accurate or state specific):

1) It is illegal to drive on a public road before it's registered.

2) You can get insurance to cover it from theft, damage, fire, etc.. but it's insured as an 'object', not a vehicle. You can't insure it as a vehicle until it's registered.

3) If you drive it, the insurance won't cover ANYTHING related to driving it.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your location is correct you shouldn't need the title, just a licensing office with someone competent that knows how to do the SF-97. According to other threads, they passed some regulations or rules or something to make titling surplus military vehicles pretty straightforward.

I can't comment on the EUC times, but for the "how long until I can drive it"...
In my state, I could purchase a 3 day trip permit to allow me to move the vehicle around. No restrictions on it, so I could drive anywhere I wanted. Catch is only 3 permits per year, so saved it for special occasions.

Insurance is another matter entirely, as mgFray pointed out. You can talk to your insurance company and find out though if that applies with the trip permit (if even available for you)

blutow

If your location is correct you shouldn't need the title, just a licensing office with someone competent that knows how to do the SF-97. According to other threads, they passed some regulations or rules or something to make titling surplus military vehicles pretty straightforward
Thanks. Yeah, it sounds like it's a simple process to register as a formar military vehicle in TX with the SF97, but there are some pretty tight restrictions on that type of registration (only allowed on road for parades, club events, etc.). I'm sure it's one of those things that isn't really enforced, but I'm leaning toward registering with a normal title without the limitations if possible. I went ahead and spent the extra $100 for the montana title (in addition to the SF97) because I think that will give me a better shot at a regular registration if I decide to go that way.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My understanding was those restrictions were for the trucks that had the "off road only" stamp on the DF-97. If it didn't have that stamp it was just a regular vehicle as far as they were concerned. (I could be wrong about that though. Anyway, in the grand scheme of things $100 isn't that much for the peace of mind)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really good section on EUC wait times and if you go to most recent it will give you a good idea of what you are up against. I filled euc on 5/21/21 on released on 8/5/21

Action

Thanks. Yeah, it sounds like it's a simple process to register as a formar military vehicle in TX with the SF97, but there are some pretty tight restrictions on that type of registration (only allowed on road for parades, club events, etc.). I'm sure it's one of those things that isn't really enforced, but I'm leaning toward registering with a normal title without the limitations if possible. I went ahead and spent the extra $100 for the montana title (in addition to the SF97) because I think that will give me a better shot at a regular registration if I decide to go that way.
Will you actually get the sf97 AND a title? The sf97 is a certificate to obtain title. Why would you get the paperwork to get a title along with the title? Govplanet told me it is $150 to get the title. Maybe the first $50 is for the sf97 that they process to get the title for you.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will you actually get the sf97 AND a title? The sf97 is a certificate to obtain title. Why would you get the paperwork to get a title along with the title? Govplanet told me it is $150 to get the title. Maybe the first $50 is for the sf97 that they process to get the title for you.
I was told that you only get the title and they still charge you for sf97

Hammer

Yes, $50 is for SF-97 and the extra $100 is for title.
You only get the Montana title.
I won't my M1123's on 10/7/2020.
I received my Montana titles 9/9/2021. Got my registration 9/10/2021 ;)

WATCH your govplanet login for the SF97/title section. They will update as they change things.
BUT, if there is some error, they don't contact you immediately, it just sits and ROTS in their system!
YOU have to contact them to make sure the steps are followed.
Once I contacted them, I started getting results. There was a small hicup at the start, and no one told be squat until I contacted them.

As for the TX Military titling. There are many people on here that use it.
Honestly, if you read the terms, just taking these things out in public meets their requirements, as we are showing them off, etc.
Just don't use it for your daily driver to WORK. Heck, even driving it to work is showing it off, and is still good to go.
If you are stopped for whatever reason, simply say that you needed to drive it for maintenance, or to make sure something was fixed ;)

I registered mine as pickups, and have no limitations at all. No worries for whatever I want to do with them.

My HEAVY vehicles though, are Collectors (M818, M920, M920, etc.) and if I actually USE them, I get trip permits for hauling things, etc.

Really need to figure how you really are going to use them.
Most of mine, I actually use 99% of the time as Collectors. Parades, events, showing off, maintenance, etc.

blutow

Really good section on EUC wait times and if you go to most recent it will give you a good idea of what you are up against. I filled euc on 5/21/21 on released on 8/5/21
Thanks. Good info there, looks like 2+ months is the norm, hopefully I'll squeeze in before the holidays before everything slows to a crawl.

INFChief

I received my EUC with 72 hours after submitting that & the SF97. The SF97 still has me in a holding pattern. I wrote a scathing email to GP clearly stating my dissatisfaction with their poor level of customer service. I literally felt my SF97 go to the bottom of the growing stack….

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most likely the yard will not let you attempt to drive off on pickup and its highly advised against and illegal. There will be problems with your truck.

INFChief

Yes, you can take the equipment as soon as the EUC is processed & cleared. At least Chambersburg is that way.

blutow

Most likely the yard will not let you attempt to drive off on pickup and its highly advised against and illegal. There will be problems with your truck.
I'm having it shipped. It's 1000+ miles away and I wouldn't drive it any distance until draining old fuel and sorting things out.

There is a recent youtube video with a guy who tried to drive his auction hmmwv home 1500 miles. It was a pretty rough looking truck, but he actually made it pretty far before blowing out a tire. He went to home depot and bought a peice of plastic and duct tape for his windshield because the truck windsheild was missing. Youtube people.... Anything for a click (worked on me).

Nice2l

I just won an auction yesterday and filled out EUC form and paid.

Their site says 6-10 weeks for approval, but I think I've seen others say that's optimistic. Any idea how long EUC's are currently taking for a first time submission right now? I think I've seen some people say up to 6 months, but I'm hoping it's more like 3.

Also, it sounds like I take the truck as soon as EUC clears, but it's another month or 2 before I have the SF97 and another month or so after that before I have the Montana title.

Is that all correct? I assume it's probably illegal to drive the truck on the road before I have the docs to register it, so that will be a tough temptation. Can it be insured prior to being registered (just in case it escapes the driveway)?
[/QUOTE

Sigi

If your truck is in Yermo, CA, GovPlanet charges the CA sales tax. However, the sales tax is refunded if your truck is moved outside CA via commercial transport. Need a bill of lading. Pays for some of the transport costs.

blutow

If your truck is in Yermo, CA, GovPlanet charges the CA sales tax. However, the sales tax is refunded if your truck is moved outside CA via commercial transport. Need a bill of lading. Pays for some of the transport costs.
Thanks, that would be a bonus. Who would I reach out to to get that refund? I assume it ca government, not gov planet. I think paying ca taxes keeps me from having to pay sales tax in Texas, so maybe not a huge savings if I still need to pay Texas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks