• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question on pcb SSI EESS compatability

Dsc45shooter

These two are bured out. Have SSI boxes on the way to replace them. Will the temp sensors/controllers still left in the two hmmwv work with the new SSI box?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Dsc45shooter

Doesnt answer my question. Im not talking about the s3. Im replacing yellow label nartron and silver kds with 6110-01-491-2152; ssi box. Will the two sensors in crossover left from nartron and kds work with ssi

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had An EESS from any mfg, it required a temp sender unit, those have all been backwards compat.
but please, DO NOT confuse with glow plug controller in water cross over, that will only work with a PCB like the one in your picture.
I don't have nor do I use SSI, I always install Narton and KDS....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
EESS Information:This info is from the Fort Hood Motor Pool Web Page:
HMMWV New EESS NIINs
The spares procurement for EESS has led to another change which I will commonly refer to as the One Piece Design. Because of the different configurations, we have established a generic NSN for EESS procurement purposes. The NSN is 6110-01-491-2158.
There will be three NSNs related to this generic NSN. They are as follows:
A. 6110-01-463-9260 - 2 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with yellow label and a temperature sensor with a yellow band. The temp sensor gets installed in the water crossover pipe.
B. 6110-01-491-2142 - 1 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with a bright green label. There is no longer a separate temperature sensor required with this configuration. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.
C. 6110-01-491-2152 - 1 piece design manufactured by Signal and Systems, Inc. (SSI). This configuration contains a black control box and there is no separate controller or temp sensor. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.
Any of the above NSNs can be ordered, you will get which ever is in stock.
There are NO Safety Issues related to these boxes/NSNs.
You should no longer get a blinking/flashing wait to start light when using the one piece design. The box should no longer go into default mode.
You no longer will need to troubleshoot the temp sensor/controller if you have the one piece design installed. However, be sure to keep the temp sensor/controller installed and connected.
Still need to make sure glow plugs are in good working condition - no need to automatically replace them, just check them.
Ensure that your connections to the body and engine side a good and tight.
The voltmeter will still fluctuate during after-glow activity.
Bottom line - the one-piece design is the same as two piece design except for the temperature sensor.
If you suspect a problem with the starting system (control box):

1. Check batteries
  2. Check all 8 glow plugs
  3. If Wait to Start Light does not come on, but you had voltage gauge activity - attempt to start vehicle. If no start, check fuel system.
  4. If Wait To Start Light comes on and you have voltage gauge activity, and still get a no start - your control box should be functioning, problem may be fuel related - check fuel system.
  5. If no Wait to Start Light, no glow plug activity and no vehicle start; and all 8 glow plugs are good, wait to start light is good and connections at the body and engine side are good and tight, batteries are good - replace control box.
If you have run across any other scenario's, please let me know.
I hope this information helps. If you need any further information, you know where to find me.
Jody McInerney
Sustainment Maintenance Manager
HMMWV Sustainment Team

Dsc45shooter

Yes I have a copy of that. I think from reading the letter that the SSI eess box will work on our Humvee with the burned out yellow Nartron eess box. I will not have to change the temp sensor between the two. However, I don't know the nsn for the silver label KDS PCB I have pictured or if the new SSI box will work.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I am a little confused. I have a KDS box with the yellow label, but the temp sensor has been disabled and filled with silicone or RTV. The wait light blinks (sometimes) and the engine always starts well when it does. Last night, no wait light and a hard start. Them I saw the activity on the voltmeter gauge and it started right up, but still no wait light

DanM7890

Funny you bring that up. I replaced my original box with a newer KDS and the wait light doesn't stay on long enough. If I crank when the light goes off it's a hard start, but if I watch the volt meter and wait for the cycling to stop it fires up right away.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wait light would stay on for a nano second then off. In daylight it would be hardly noticeable. No starting issues what so ever. Not a ESS S3 as no 3rd plug. Not sure on what box I have as label is gone or facing inside? I suspect I have a flavor of yellow? I bought on epay a used glow plug temp sensor take out for $20 offer. I had used this vendor previously and trusted their product. Wait light works perfectly now.
Control Glow Plug 12338772 12469158-2 CR-2696 HMMWV M998 2920-01-175-7214

Since your sensor is suspect, I would throw $20 down the rabbit hole and change the sensor.......

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for sensor : 2920-01-469-6903, which is 12469158-2 or CR-2696.
The
2920-01-175-7214, 12338772 is a cancelled number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks