• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

question on the (12 bolt) 8-lug rims?

CCATLETT1984

update: I checked the -20 TM and it does not mention anything about an alignment washer on the studs. I dont see how the two halves will center themselves though, unless the beadlock insert does that?

Guess I'll find out when I get the inserts, should be the first part of next week.

dilvoy

They do infact exist. They are stamped out of copper. they are just a little bit larger than the nuts and protrude into the stud hole in the outer half of the wheel and take up most of the space between the wheel studs and the hole. I don't know if the military ever used these, but they were used in the civi market. I have bought some and I can get the part number tonight. I think only two are necessary to locate the wheel halves as good as possible, but I have heard of someone using twelve of them. I guess AMG finally got tired of hearing complaints of steel two piece wheels that could never be balanced.

BKinzey

Where are you finding the 12 bolt rims? They seem scarce. I just bought one on eBay. Since I'm the type of guy who likes to have a matching spare I figure it'll be easier (cheaper too!) to get the last 4 as a set.

CCATLETT1984

update:

I just got back from the hummer dealer. He doesn't stock them, but was able to order them.
should be here in 2 days, and the kicker, they only cost 72 cents a piece.

will post the part # when they arrive.

BKinzey

So how did the balancing go? I've been reading where some guys are using Air-Soft pellets, the heavy ones, to balance tires. A lot cheaper than the commercial pellets. Using 10 to 16 ounces of pellets per tire seem to do the trick. I think it's worth a try.

CCATLETT1984

I ended up going with the pellets, the .20gram ones to be exact.
used 15oz per tire. I can tell that two of the tires will need a little more weight (they still have a slight shimmy)
overall they have worked great. I didnt even notice the difference once I put the washers on, so either I got really lucky the first time assembling the rims or they dont really need the washers. sorry for the time in posting been really busy and kinda forgot about this post.