• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question RE: GL/DRMO "condition codes"

BigJay

Ok so I've been looking at trucks on ebay, at dealers, and on govliquidation for a couple months now. Part of me thinks I should bite the bullet and buy my first MV from a dealer that has serviced it, but part of me also thinks it would be a lot of fun to get one straight out of GL. That's something I'll have to work out...

This truck: http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=969220

Looks really nice! Winch, drop side bed, hard top, looks fairly clean/not a lot of major rust, seems like it has the air shift, and that stylish fire extingusher..

But the condition says H7 which sounds fairly ominous...

"Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria; Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended. NOTE: Classify obsolete and excess material to its proper condition before consigning to the DRMO. DO NOT classify material in supply condition H unless it is truly unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria."

So IS that an acurate description, is the motor blown on this guy or something? Or, are these codes not very accurate?

I'm not saying this is the truck I want, although it does seem to be about what I'm looking for... It just really struck me when I was looking at what seemed to be a nice truck, and the condition read so poorly.

-Jay

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
FYI, that is an airshift for sure and you can bet, that sucker is gonna bid waaaaay up there.

I consider GL codes to be virtually irrelevant. The condition in person varies so much by what they describe and picture, that a pre-bidding inspection is almost required.

I looked at a truck last fall that looked fantastic in pictures, but when I got there, it was a rustbucket. Cab, bed, hardtop, all seriously compromised.

You really ought to go and inspect any truck you're gonna bid on, especially for the money it's gonna take to buy it.......search some of the old GL threads for prior discussion.

It does look great in pictures and has a lot of modern upgrades...and all the goodies....

NEIOWA

Condition codes are very nearly totally useless/meaningless. "Obsolete" equipment being turned in for replacement will frequently be coded H7. The AF in particular codes equipment they are tired of (have $ to replace with near new stuff) will code H7 or frequently HX. For example an AF 14yr old IH 1856 4x4 dump truck with 24000mi coded as H7 (now sits in our fire station (www.stanleyiowa.com).

The DRMS/DRMOs do not quality controlled the condition codes so wildly inaccurate.

What is a "Federal Condition Code"?

This is a two character combination of the "Supply" condition code and the "Disposal" condition code. The Supply condition code is assigned by the activity turning the property in to the DRMO/DRMS. A Disposal Condition Code is a code assigned by the DRMO receiver after inspection of an item which is used to designate the physical condition of that item

jodka

"..Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended..."

GL employee number 1: Hey, Bob, you seen the M35A2C W/W we had around here?
GL employee number 2: Err... ya, check the shelf.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Ditto, the condition codes mean vitrualy squat, the only thing that's really going to tell you what condtion the truck is in is a firsthand visual and physical inspection, aside from that, you are taking a chance, even on a truck that looks really good in the pictures.

Also as noted above, neither GL nor DRMO can be trusted with what they code a truck at. Not out of malice, just apathy, it's scrap, surplus, so who cares?

chill63

That truck looks nice in the pictures. The main thing that worries me about it is what is that large drain pan doing under the front??? I'd definately inspect before bidding.

Low-Tech-Redneck

Every truck at some DRMO sites has a pan put under it to catch anything leaking, weather it's leaking or not. Though, in the case of McVeyMac's M35A2C it meant someone had accidentaly stabbed the pan with a forklift prong....

BigJay

Going to check out the truck is good advice. I just need a place to start. So it sounds like H means it's garbage, but then it got a 7 out of 10 grade from the DRMO. heh Once I get moved and settled in I'll be a lot more serious about it. Thanks for the information. My gut told me that each individual had a different set of standards to grade by.

Oh and I kinda figured buckets/pans were standard issue.. There's another truck on GL right now that says "no leaks" and has a pan under it in the pics.

-Jay

NEIOWA

Low-Tech-Redneck said:
Also as noted above, neither GL nor DRMO can be trusted with what they code a truck at. Not out of malice, just apathy, it's scrap, surplus, so who cares?
Or cousin Floyd is a surplus dealer and anything that does not get reutilized thru DRMS goes to auction and the worse it sounds/looks the better deal Floyd will get.

Most of the DRMOs will assist DRMO customers with additional info, photos, info from tech inspection records, turning unit contact info, did it drive in, etc. None of this helps you with govliq stuff obvoiusly.

paintslinger16

FYI CC H is a catch all on the 1348 it gets turned in under, by rule if property comes in Coded H or F or G from the the TI or in the cases such as 30 to 40 year old out of the systems deuce it is going to be H anyway. one obsolete and two over MEL which is most likey zero .
From this stand point the DRMO will just add the second number or alpha H7 or if really bad crapped out HX (salvage), if could come in CC F or CC G which is incomplete.
That is all your going to see on F G or H 7 or X
DRMO's have the means to change the CC up or down but with something like a 2 1/2 ton it is pointless there is no justification for a A1 code
You have to remember anything nice gets R/T/D before it ever gets into the slimy hands of GL, and they are just going to go by what the sticker states on the property.
Drip pan is SOP for a parked truck, Humvee's get chocked and the pan goes under it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks