• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question regarding Deuce tires

Texas Diesel

I have had my Deuce for about 6 months and am going to replace the current tires with Goodyear G177's. The two questions I have are: 1) is it necessary to use tubes and flaps with these tires? and 2) if that is the case, is it necessary to use tubes and flaps on any tire mounted on a Deuce?
Thank you for any answers that will help this "newbie" from messing up. :???:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The rims are what designates the need for the tubes and flaps. Yes, make sure you get radial rated tubes, radial tires produce more heat and will kill a bias rated tube quickly.

flyusn99

I'm not sure what your plans are and I'm sure I'll get a bunch of calls that "That's BS" but if you plan on keeping the rears as duals you MAY have a problem with the G177 radials rubbing on the trunion cap bolts. I had one truck where that was the case, several others that they never rubbed but thought I'd point that out. Maybe only 10% chance it'll happen but something to be informed of....

James

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm not sure what your plans are and I'm sure I'll get a bunch of calls that "That's BS" but if you plan on keeping the rears as duals you MAY have a problem with the G177 radials rubbing on the trunion cap bolts. I had one truck where that was the case, several others that they never rubbed but thought I'd point that out. Maybe only 10% chance it'll happen but something to be informed of....

James
If you still have the truck, check the trunnion bearings/bushings(some had bearings, some had bushings) they can get slop and allow the whole rear assembly to pivot too much, allowing the interference.

treeguy

Is there a source out there for newer Michilins? I had them on my truck and liked them except for the dry rot cracking. The date codes on mine showed that they were 16 years old and I'm pretty sure that tread pattern is not in production. Has any one else noticed a problem with cracking? I have a 2001 tire that also suffered the same issue. Just trying to help others avoid the same headache. I switched to Goodyear, their rubber is more pliable.

Is there a source out there for newer Michilins? I had them on my truck and liked them except for the dry rot cracking. The date codes on mine showed that they were 16 years old and I'm pretty sure that tread pattern is not in production. Has any one else noticed a problem with cracking? I have a 2001 tire that also suffered the same issue. Just trying to help others avoid the same headache. I switched to Goodyear, their rubber is more pliable.
I had a perfectly good-looking michelin blow out on my M35A3 a couple of months ago, so I replaced it with the only one I had, which was the spare. Unfortunately, the spare does have some dry-rot cracks starting to appear, so I'm currently trying to scrounge money for some 195s. I think it was actually a malfunction in the CTIS that led to the blowout. I've since removed the components from all the wheels and blocked off the air supply stud at each wheel.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never had any problems running the 11R20 Michelin XZL's on my trucks and they are as large as the Goodyears. This pic shows the space and there is 10+tons in the bed.

Attachments

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You just got a weird truck....:)

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, the Goodyears have a better "footprint" than the Michelins, especially on wet roads. You will be happy with the ride. Much better than NDT's.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wife's M109 rides sooo much better with the G177s. I think you will be happy with them. They are wearing like iron too. We've put 5k miles on them, and you can hardly tell. Be half way to a new set of NDT's by now...

Woodsplinter

As a new deuce owner too, I'm also wondering where NDT's work best- on road, off road, nowhere?
Mwmules, what's the steering fix? That link didn't take me anywhere useful. Thanks!
Pctrans, nice, clean deuce! That's one to be proud of- like the look of the tires too!
Does anybody know of a source for the Goodyears, price?
Thanks for any help!

Mark

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 1100x20s, the only NEW replacement is the Goodyear. Firestone stopped making the T831 in 1100x20 last year. I have been looking the world over...I did find some 'new' XLs, in Holland, several months ago. Didn't check on the price, as I do not have a 'cheap' way to get them back...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a new deuce owner too, I'm also wondering where NDT's work best- on road, off road, nowhere?
They work best on original restored vehicles, for static displaying; museum exhibition; eventually doing parades on firm dry ground......:p
..... what's the steering fix? That link didn't take me anywhere useful.
Try this one.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks