• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question regarding EMP proof ability of mep-002a/xxxa type gensets please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispyny

Reading some stuff about the most recent, large, earth directional CME (coronal mass ejection). I remember reading many times that these gensets are supposed to be fairly EMP resistant. My question is, what is the procedure followed to ensure the gensets EMP resistance?
I currently have the neutral wire removed from grounding lug, and ground wire from 10/4 soow wire tied to ground lug on generator as im using the genset as home back up power in conjunction with a factory interlock kit if commercial power fails at home. However the power wire is stored in my shed until a failure occurs. To ensure EMP resistance, should i leave the chassis grounded to a ground rod until the generator is needed? Also, is the genset EMP resistant while running with my setup?
Some survival forums have begun to make a BIG stink about EMp proofing your stuff lately after this most recent CME. It's raised some concerns with me. I'm not up to indepth detailed electrical principle, but i am about to finish a continuing educational associates degree in applied sciences with a focus on telecom tech, and i took some physics and electrical classes so i have some formal education on the issue but i am by NO means a professional in this stuff.

THANKS

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The older MEP-002a/003a should survive a CME event fine. That is not the same as a EMP. A CME event will target long conductors and induce currents over an extended period of time. An EMP is designed to target electronics with a very short but very intense burst.

On the CME front the conductors of a house distribution system are too short to be seriously affected. You might see induced current but it will be small. Power distribution systems with conductors in MILES is where the problems with CMEs come into play.

For an EMP you will see very high currents in most conductors but it will be for a very short period of time. Since the older MEPs are not computer controlled its not likely to cause any serious problems. The voltage regulator board is the most sensitive part of the system. The transistors are pretty robust and should handle a bit of surge from the attached wiring. The rest of the stuff is just copper. An EMP isn't going to do that any real damage.

Isaac-1

Talking about EMP is sort of taboo around here as these threads tend to quickly get out of control. Having said that if I were worried about it I would pick up a few spare transistors for the AVR board, and just make sure the wiring was not connected to anything.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No EMP, zombie, doomsday, end of world threads allowed. While it starts as an innocent question, the masses can not control themselves and the threads spiral out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks