• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question replaced fuel pump Mep 003

tbearatkin

While the generator was running my fuel pumps failed and the generator shut down due to lack of fuel. I have replaced the one pump and it is now moving fuel.

Question, will I need to crack the fuel lines at the injector to get it running again. Not a lot room in there for that. I do have fuel at the IP.

Why can't they make a bleeder valve at the injectors for when they run out of fuel? Not very Soldier/Sailor proof if you ask me.

Thanks yes I searched prior to the question went through 3 pages of threads even did a word search in the manual. The word Bleed is not in the manual.

jamawieb

No you don't, it should fire right up because it didn't pull the fuel out of the lines in the injector pump, to the injectors. Even if you got air in the lines, it can just be cranked over to get the air out.

jamawieb

Cool, if you need anything just let me know. I've got extra parts and a few pumps if need anything. How's the generator other than the pump going out?

tbearatkin

No issues with it, just doing the monthly run and PM on it and the pumps went bad. Could not get them going even after I took them apart and cleaned them. So I bought a new one. Have the batteries on charge right now will try tomorrow and see if I can get it running.

rustystud

No issues with it, just doing the monthly run and PM on it and the pumps went bad. Could not get them going even after I took them apart and cleaned them. So I bought a new one. Have the batteries on charge right now will try tomorrow and see if I can get it running.
The line suppressors could have gone bad, so don't throw the pump away until you check it.

tbearatkin

Rusty, will not throw them away, one however is beyond repair as I thought that was a quick disconnect plug on the pump itself. Its not.

Got it running no issues. Running with 1 pump through one bad pump and will check the one bad one with the line suppressors removed from line.

Question what is the three wire plug on the aux pump used for? Looks like some kind of pressure regulator on it but I cannot read any of the writing on it.

jamawieb

Rusty, will not throw them away, one however is beyond repair as I thought that was a quick disconnect plug on the pump itself. Its not.

Got it running no issues. Running with 1 pump through one bad pump and will check the one bad one with the line suppressors removed from line.

Question what is the three wire plug on the aux pump used for? Looks like some kind of pressure regulator on it but I cannot read any of the writing on it.
The three wire plug is for the fuel shut off solenoid on the aux pump. When using the aux pump, there is a float switch inside the fuel tank and when the tank is full, it sends a signal through those wires to the fuel solenoid to cut off the flow of fuel. Then when the fuel drops, it automatically opens the solenoid to fill the tank up.

tbearatkin

Cleaned two of the three pumps, both work now. The third does not as I tried to unplug wire from pump. Enclosed are pictures of it after I had cleaned it. It was gummed up but carb cleaner took care of it. Put Carb cleaner in each connector on pump to clean it out and move the plunger (white) up and down to clean the inside of the pump. Here are some pictures.
Fuel Pump.jpgAux Fuel pump.jpgDSC00164.jpgDSC00165.jpgDSC00166.jpg
Plunger that you push up and
down to get cleaner into system
DSC00167.jpgDSC00168.jpg

Screen/filter Rubber gasket and magnet
DSC00169.jpgDSC00170.jpg

Last edited:

rustystud

Cleaned two of the three pumps, both work now. The third does not as I tried to unplug wire from pump. Enclosed are pictures of it after I had cleaned it. It was gummed up but carb cleaner took care of it. Put Carb cleaner in each connector on pump to clean it out and move the plunger (white) up and down to clean the inside of the pump. Here are some pictures.
View attachment 651975View attachment 651967View attachment 651968View attachment 651969View attachment 651970
Plunger that you push up and
down to get cleaner into system
View attachment 651971View attachment 651972

Screen/filter Rubber gasket and magnet
View attachment 651973View attachment 651974

So you where unable to get the third pump to work ? Was it due to the connection ? Or was it too gummed up ?

tbearatkin

I did not play with the third pump too much as I had tugged and pulled on that connector so hard I am not sure what damage I might have done inside. I only bought one can of cleaner so will work on it this weekend when I get another can. Most likely it just needed cleaned as well and I ruined a good pump. Oh well live and learn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks