• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question(s) About Running an Auxiliary Battery:

Defcon-1

Alright electrical-gurus, I need some help trying to figure something out in my truck. To preface this, my 923 has an industrial lift-gate installed on the back of the bed. It has been working (has worked) in the past until I removed the aux-battery from the aft-tool-box (to install tooling in there). This disabled the lift-gate operation, until I can reinstall the aux-battery in another location.

Looking over the entire system to get it back in operation, I have some concerns / questions. Maybe I'm just overthinking this, but I want it to be correct / safe, and more specifically, I don't want it damaging the trucks main electrical system. I don't use the lift-gate for anything outside of occasional purposes, so it's not considered high-priority but when I do get it working again I want it to be correct (if not already).

Below are two diagrams I made, one is the Basic-Elec Layout that I have running four 6TL batteries. The pic on the right is how the lift-gate electrical portion is (currently) hooked up to that system (with the exception that originally the converter 24v (+) input line was connected to the #4 battery (+) terminal, since then I moved it to the Kill-Switch so that the 24v/12v converter would not be powered unless the K-S was disengaged, but the aux battery is also removed at this time too so the converter is inop anyway)

My question is, do I need a DC to DC battery charge limiter / battery charger anywhere in the system? In between the converter and the Aux battery? Or is the Aux battery maintained by the constant flow of 13.3v to it? My gut tells me something is not 100% correct in this setup, even though it works. All comments/criticisms welcomed, please help me understand, I'm not too good with electrical, but I can make diagrams I guess lol. How are you guys running a 12v Aux battery in your truck?

Thanks in advance 🙏

1723832270471.png

Defcon-1

Correct, five batteries on the truck.
Where is it in your truck? Just curious. Having a 12v battery being charged on its own system by its own alternator is optimal, but that's going to be too far out of my technical ability. I need to find a way to charge it / maintain it outside of that, (that's even if I need to do that, because I'm not sure if it just being charged by the converter is legit lol).

Shouldn't my 12v battery stop taking a charge after it's full? IE: The amps stop flowing to it from the converter because the battery is topped off? Or, is it not good to have a constant supply of 13.3v to the Aux-battery without it tricking down? (The voltage being reduced to the Aux-battery the closer it gets to being fully charged)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks