• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question

prattcobra

Guys I am buying my first military vehicle.. hopefully it won't be my last..

Im buying a 1978 817 restored. I'm excited.. What should i know and what should I need to know.

timm831

I suggest going to either the 5 ton and up forum to download the manuals or the resource tab at the top of the page. Download every manual you can find regarding your "new" truck. Believe me, at one point or another they will all come in handy.

Atomic

As someone who bought a M211 as of today, read this site top to bottom. Hit the search key with gusto (use variations and single terms) and as timm831 said download the manuals. If you don't want to download them, hit up the classifieds sections and search manuals or go the web and do the same.

Read, read and when your done, do more reading. Know your local laws/restrictions and don't be "that guy" with a big toy truck who is a jacka$# driving down the road.

Congrats on the truck and nopics

This site is wonderful and the people who manage it and the people who frequent it are full of knowledge and more to the point, good people, people I don't mind calling friends.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for curiosity sake, I'd check with Clark Truck in WV
ask what they'ld charge for a reconditioned M817 (if they had one)
I have seen the Clark operation in person, and was impressed! (ever see a Deuce on a chassis dyno?!)
I have not seen the Oshkosh Equipment operation.
I do know the name comes from the town and that they are not part of the Oshkosh Truck Corp.
I suppose mud flaps are extra?

Last edited: