• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about an '86 CUCV

FrankenCub

Still here.
Really wish I had more cash, I'd drive down there without hesitation. Unfortunately our budget took a hit from what I mentioned in the PM so I'm stuck with a maximum amount I can spend :(
It's looking like I'm just gonna have to suck it up and make sure I bring enough pain pills with me for a 18 hour round trip drive.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember
Their not making any more of them.

As your finding out......good ones are getting harder to find.

I will be buying two more.
It might take me a year to find them, but I will.

Don't give up. Good luck.

FrankenCub

Remember
Their not making any more of them.

As your finding out......good ones are getting harder to find.

I will be buying two more.
It might take me a year to find them, but I will.

Don't give up. Good luck.
The part that bothers me is the lack of simple trouble shooting to sell a vehicle. For my personal vehicles I only buy old trucks for the simplicity. My wife requires the newer cars. I hate 'em, that part of needing a $200 scanner to talk to the computer to isolate a problem just doesn't sit well with me, but I do it. IMO, older trucks, whether gas or diesel, are so much simpler and reliable, so that's what I drive. I've been buying and selling old trucks/cars for many many years and no matter which end I'm on the vehicle was always running. Unless it had a blown motor/tranny.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much, but I can't waste time looking at a truck that won't start. If they say "the batteries won't hold charge" and I drive 4 hours to see a truck that ends up having a problem that will stop from getting it home (no trailer or tow vehicle).
I don't mind if the box needs work, they make replacement sheet metal every day, even if the cab needs to be replaced it might not be a deal breaker as there are still many cabs left that could be swapped to it if the price is right. Maybe those guys know someone will buy them because of their pedigree, I don't know. It's just a personal peeve that they aren't willing to trouble shoot is what bothers me. Maybe it's also because I'm in need of a truck, not a want, and choices are fading away. I refuse to buy a commercial civilian truck around here, every 1ton is beat to death. Both mechanically and body wise and will be just like a boat...bust out another thousand.
I still look every couple hours for new ads, but not very optimistic, this is NY lol. I have seen my share of really nice trucks, including the one cucvrus has, I just can't afford them.

The on in Ohio is truly a very decent truck and worth his asking price, the drive is gonna be a killer though. I'm not 18 anymore lol.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a lot of people that bought them just drive them til issues became problems.
They don't understand the system and keep up with maintenance.
Next thing you know, it's not starting/running anymore.
Now their selling it and just want gone. Hoping it will start to get it out the door.

Youtube has videos of guys cranking the starter forever to get it going.
Hacking the wiring seems to be popular with some.

I read about it here on SS all the time.

If I were closer I would volunteer my truck and trailer to help you out.

FrankenCub

Probably right, too many people now don't know how to work on their own vehicles, even if they wanted to. Effects of our 'throw away culture'? If I had the time and mode of transport there have been a few trucks I could have picked from to tear down and make right. But it is what it is.
I appreciate the sentiment regarding your truck/trailer ;) One of the things I plan on doing once I get a truck, is to buy or build a trailer. I could have used one countless times but my last couple trucks were only 1/2 ton that I wouldn't tow more than a boat with anyhow. My days of hot rodding are done, time for functional trucks :)

Omaha M1028

Don't give up on finding a good one for a reasonable price, it took me awhile to find a good running and driving CUCV also that was in my price range.

FrankenCub

Don't give up on finding a good one for a reasonable price, it took me awhile to find a good running and driving CUCV also that was in my price range.
I won't be giving up none to soon. I have a line on a good truck for a reasonable price, just a long drive to where it is. Was hoping to find something closer but I'm thinking I might be better off taking the long drive, I honestly don't think I can do better for the price. If I go for that one, which I most likely will, I will head out about midnight the 13th. I'll post it up when I recover ;)

Omaha M1028

Very good sir. Sometimes a bit of travel is required to find a good one. These trucks are well worth it. I love my M1028 and wish I would have bought one sooner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks