• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about best route to escape Oregon right before Thanksgiving:

MTVR

It appears likely that we will be moving from Portland Oregon to Waco Texas on or shortly after November 20th.

My wife would like to head down I-5 south into southern California and then cut across, to minimize our chances of snow, as opposed to heading out I-84 east through the Columbia Gorge.

But that means that we'll have to deal with the Siskiyou pass. I've driven it several times over the last 35+ years, but almost always during the summer, and it's been about 15 years since the last time I did that. I've only done it once during winter- it was during a snowstorm back in '84, and I was driving a new Cadillac.

I grew up driving in the snow, but my wife will be driving too, and our other vehicle will be a U-Haul truck towing a car trailer with her BMW on it.

I know we have some members here that are truck drivers- can you guys please educate us a little on our escape route?

I did order a set of four new Oshkosh military surplus 16.00R20 tire chains, and they should arrive in time for us to test fit them before we leave.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not familiar with northern California, but have driven I-10 to I-8 into San Diego in January. No snow and the slopes were easy - there is a train line running parallel with I-10, just to the north about half a mile. Because of the wildfires in Cali. that route might have some other dangers, other than snow.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just take the route your truck did. I-5 to the barstow Bakersfield highway across to i40 at Barstow. I40 east to needles, the hwy 95 south to i10 at Quartzsite,AZ.

I- 10 is much less hilly than i40 across AZ and NM.

The 55mph California speed limit sucks but you won't be able to get much past that. It plans to be a dry winter anyway so any route you should. Be fine

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
At the other end, we're looking at taking the 10 to the 20 to the 6 into Waco- is that okay?
I20 is pretty rough from Monahans to near abilene. Take a few extra spares. Oil field country isn't nice to the roads. Its an ok drive though and there is a good bit of traffic along that route as well.

MTVR

Welcome to Texas you will love Waco and the area around it.
I think so. All the barbecue and Mexican places look great- I got a Gut Pack as soon as I hit town. The real estate agent took me all over. I wanted to stay away from DFW, Austin, and the area around Fort Hood, and I think we did okay.

MTVR

I20 is pretty rough from Monahans to near abilene. Take a few extra spares. Oil field country isn't nice to the roads. Its an ok drive though and there is a good bit of traffic along that route as well.
I think I'd rather drive a few extra miles or pay a couple of tolls, rather than learn how to bust tires on the side of the road...

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I-10 will beat you & your vehicles to death across New Mexico.

If you drive across I-84 through Oregon & Idaho down into Utah, I’ve driven it this year through snow storms (going to OR & WA for work contracts) and not only are the roads very very good but the snow removal is excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive across I-84 during wintertime to warmer climates.

I’d rather risk I-84 than to drive through kalifornia. YMMV.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I-10 will beat you & your vehicles to death across New Mexico.

If you drive across I-84 through Oregon & Idaho down into Utah, I’ve driven it this year through snow storms (going to OR & WA for work contracts) and not only are the roads very very good but the snow removal is excellent. I wouldn’t hesitate to drive across I-84 during wintertime to warmer climates.

I’d rather risk I-84 than to drive through kalifornia. YMMV.
So will any road across new Mexico. Seems all the potholes are where the right side tires are supposed to be in the road

MTVR

I'm reading that the Siskiyou Pass is not as dangerous going southbound as it would be if we were going the other direction.

What about Cabbage Hill? Is it more dangerous in one direction than another?

Our MTVR has only about 3,000 miles on it- the brake shoes look like new. And it will be lightly loaded- our box only weighs about 3,000 pounds at this point.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks