• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Questions about driving a deuce in Washington state.

Mrwilson79

I'm getting a lot of conflicting answers when I ask about the legality of driving my deuce on the street.
1. Everyone says I need a class B.

2. Everyone says the bumper hight is illegal.

3. Everyone says a bunch of B'S.

Any of you in Washington that can give me good straight forward answers?
I want to use it as a daily driver for personal use.

Flyingvan911

Check with your DMV. If the bumper height still factory, then that's the way it was built and that's that. The GVW of the deuce is less than 26,000 pounds. Sometimes the three axles are the sticking point. The DMV or your state highway patrol will be happy to give you the best answer. Especially the highway patrol. They are happy to help you stay out of trouble.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Washington State please remember that they drive on the RIGHT Hand Side of the Road up there.

:nothingfunny:

On a more serious note...

There is a thread here that is specifically for the Pacific Northwest (PNW) region. I'm sure you'll want to subscribe to keep up with what your neighbors may be talking about.
Here's a link to the PNW thread:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77974-PNW-Info-Thread!

Welcome aboard :D Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven up and down I-5 completely across the state twice now and no cop's ever stopped me for anything about the truck. I don't know about the bumper height, it doesn't seem too high to me and I've lifted mine an additional 3 inches by putting on 46" tires.

Unless you're planning on using the truck for commercial purposes, I highly recommend getting collector plates on it. WA only charges once (some states charge every year) and you'll never have to worry about tabs again. If it's gonna be your daily driver, then this would violate the spirit of collector plates, however as they are only supposed to be used for special occasions.

When I registered mine, it wasn't classified as requiring a CDL.

You might want to check your local municipality if there are any restrictions about where you can park the truck. The m35a2 is sometimes classed as a commercial truck for some rules even if you don't use it for commercial purposes. For instance, where I live, you can't park a commercial truck on a residential side street. I don't know if this would apply or not. I park it in my driveway, but there are some communities in the country where this would still be illegal or a violation of covenants.

This part is just my opinion: Much of the truck may be exempt (or at least get a pass from the State Patrol) from some rules just because of its status as an antique military vehicle. Some rules that may apply to passenger vehicles probably wouldn't apply to the deuce.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks