• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

questions about dropping the tranny

deucedeuce

alrighty,
im about to drop the tranny in the deuce and i was wondering what some people have used to let it down, i saw some where on here where someone used a chain fall connected to a piece of metal running through the cab to hoist it down but i was kind of thinking about using an atv jack from underneath. i just dont know how i would block it up high enough to reach. what is everyone thoughts and opinions on this? and also are there any tips/tricks i need to know about before jumping into this? thank you

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a hard top, I used a web strap over the top and hooked together inside the cab, then a come-along hooked to that. I put a 2x4 along the sides of the cab, to keep the strap from collapsing the sides in.

Use dowel pins, in a couple of the bolt holes, to get alignment started, when going back together.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
deucedeuce , a chain hoist works very well, or a small come a long. I put the tranny on a furniture dolly from tractor supply to roll it out from under the truck. Do a search on this subject .I`m sure you`ll find much helpful info .

armytruck63

:grd: We had to drop the tranny on a deuce in the field (really, a dirt field) once. We used a 4 x 4 beam between the windshield frame and the rear of the cab and lowered the tranny onto a sheet of plywood using a come-a-long.

To get the transmission out from under the truck, two of us dragged the piece of plywood out from under the truck. Installation was just the reverse of everything.

The loose dirt prevented us from using niceties like an engine hoist or a transmission jack.

Last edited:

sierra117

I have seen one or two guys reach in to the cab with a engine hoist and lowered it that way. I have also seen people use a tool that looked like it was deisgned for it it had a small frame that sat over the tranny and it lowered with a hand winch I think. Hope this helps.

yolner

I did my clutch/rear main by myself. I used a chain hoist with a farm jack across the cab to drop the transmission on a furniture dolly. Then I used a big transmission jack from harbor freight to lift it back into place. Even with the transmission jack it was a giant PITA to get it to align properly. It can be done though so don't give up :)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a cherry picker through the drivers door, makes it a 1 person job.2cents

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like others here have said - When I did the throwout bearing on my 5 ton, I placed a 4"x6" through the windshield and the rear window of the hardtop and ran a chain hoist from it through the cab tunnel to some lifting eyes that were already bolted onto my transmission. I replaced to of the bolts that hold the transmission in with threaded rod, which aided in getting the transmission lined up again when I was finished.

I'd say the most difficult part was dealing with the jack shaft between the transmission and transfer case. This should be easier on a deuce.

197thhhc

A engine hoist works great. Just start with it raised high so it will have enough travel to lower the trans all the way down ( I learned this the hard way).

Awesome Possum

An engine hoist sounds nice, but I did it myself with a square steel pipe running through the windshield and on the back wall of the cab, some chain, and a HF come-along. It was a PITA and i'd never done a tranny in anything before this, and here the TM's were my best friends. I think I used a two wheeler to get the tranny out and the new one back under, but it was back in '03 and the mem'ry is getting not-so-good (if I'm remembering right.....)

eagle4g63

Put me down for the engine hoist when I did mine...like said start high or you bottom out on the floor of the truck before you hit the ground with the tranny.:-(

tsstout

Be sure to allow for forward/backward movement because of the cross member causing pain... I even found dipping front and back useful, but harder to obtain without extra ratchets.

here is a pic of my 4x4 method... come-along and cradle straps excluded unfortunately....

Oh and don't forget to get lock nuts for the drive shaft that must come off.. I use Fastenal nuts...

and it is a one man job for sure....

Attachments